SailNet Community banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
no need for precision there, 12.1V while under a load, likely gets up near 12.2 after resting.

The point is to deplete it enough so you are getting a full Bulk / CC stage, highest current acceptance

then will taper down, when the V setpoint is hit (Absorb / CV) amps will fall a lot

when current is between 0.010 maybe 0.005 call that 100% Full, so long as Absorb voltage still held

But your charger likely will drop to float prematurely

unless you can extend AHT absorb hold time.

This is all just general

Ideally, study the manual or data sheet for the new battery & your charger?

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
Okay, so it's the next morning and the house battery now reads....13.22 V. Why is it over 12.8?

The car charger is going back to the store, but i think it was useful here. Just trying to get them close to fully charged so I can pop em back in and see if my radio still says Low Batt. Then I can rule out a wiring problem, and then do an assessment of the Charles. (btw, for what it's worth, each of these batteries took about 750 ml of distilled water to top up. They weren't nearly as low as the starting batt ,which took a good 2L on it's own).

So, next I'm going to do what what John suggested and do some regular Volt/Amp readings on the new start battery and see what I can determine about the health of my Charles system.

Not sure why some are suggesting I get a new charging system. I thought Charles was a high quality charger. It may not be a smart charger, but I just confirmed yesterday that it is in fact a three-stage, and i was pretty stoked about that.

Please reread post 29. Your stoked ....I am trying to figure out .why.....because you have a three stage charger?....what good is it if you can’t use it to desulfate the battery.

your still buying batteries in an auto shop....clearly you haven’t learned yet, or read enough of Mainsails posts. Oh that’s right the auto shop convinced you the batteries are heavy lead, have 1200 cycles, , are warenteed.

I give up. 🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀

·
Registered
22,146 Posts
Vag.... I highly suggest you read up on battery stage charging. It always gave me a headache too, but it will make sense, if you take a little bit of time with it. You’re getting good answers here, but I suspect you’re not familiar with the jargon and some of your follow up questions suggest starting from the ground.

Spedifically ignore the condescending posts.

Reactions: Vagab0nd

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Please reread post 29. Your stoked ....I am trying to figure out .why.....because you have a three stage charger?....what good is it if you can’t use it to desulfate the battery.

your still buying batteries in an auto shop....clearly you haven’t learned yet, or read enough of Mainsails posts. Oh that’s right the auto shop convinced you the batteries are heavy lead, have 1200 cycles, , are warenteed.

I give up. 🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀
What? I called East Penn Manufacturing here in Ajax, Ontario, and they assured me that ALL batteries at Canadian Tire and NAPA Autoparts are East Penn Batteries with a local label on them. EPM doesn't even have a sales desk, they just manufacture and distribute.

I thought I was following the advice found here...I've not spoken to anyone at these automotive stores about batteries. I've only spoken to East Penn. How is this wrong?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Vag.... I highly suggest you read up on battery stage charging. It always gave me a headache too, but it will make sense, if you take a little bit of time with it. You’re getting good answers here, but I suspect you’re not familiar with the jargon and some of your follow up questions suggest starting from the ground.

Spedifically ignore the condescending posts.
Thanks, yeah I have read up on on three-stage chargers, and while I might not get all the jargon, I'm trying to apply the advice I've received here as best I can within the budget I have to spend right now. I really dont see why I have to invest in a new battery charger right now? I've been told Charles chargers are of a high quality, and that I need to have a three-stage charger - so what's the problem here anyway? And who's to say this one isn't working properly? Isn't that what I'm trying to determine with some of the testing John suggested? Not sure why I'm getting some flack here.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
East penn make a battery to a price point and if they build them for CN tire or NAPA means that they like the price point but does not make them real deep cycle batteries. east penn might make true deep cycle batteries but who knows which ones those are. just remember you will get what you pay for. cheap battery means less lead unless NAPA has decided to give away lead at a cheap price, they are not going to contain as much lead as a true deep cycle battery like Lifeline, Northstar or Mastervolt, or Trojan

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
I understand that automotive chargers aren't great, but I bought it for one reason - so I could charge my house battery up to 100% at home, under my watchful eye, while I looked into whether or not my Charles is working optimally.

Not that this battery charger is anything special, but I did pay $100 for it... it's a 2, 8 or 15 amps, and it's supposed to have an "advanced" 6-stage charging which includes DESULPHATION, Soft Start, Bulk, Absorption, Analyze and Maintain. Is this charger really so bad for what I'm trying to do??

As far as deep cycle golf cart batteries go, I've committed to buying EastPenn/Deka (thanks to suggestions here), but I'll now go for something a little better now that I realize they have different price points. Looks like I can get one of these Trojans in Toronto:

https://royalbatterysales.com/catalogue/trojan-t-605-6-volt-deep-cycle-battery

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
What? I called East Penn Manufacturing here in Ajax, Ontario, and they assured me that ALL batteries at Canadian Tire and NAPA Autoparts are East Penn Batteries with a local label on them. EPM doesn't even have a sales desk, they just manufacture and distribute.

I thought I was following the advice found here...I've not spoken to anyone at these automotive stores about batteries. I've only spoken to East Penn. How is this wrong?
A quality manufacturer is necessary but not sufficient.

Did EPM advise you as to the right model or line to buy from?

Even the best Starter in the world won't last long

or are all their units designed and built for true deep cycling?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
A quality manufacturer is necessary but not sufficient.

Did EPM advise you as to the right model or line to buy from?

Even the best Starter in the world won't last long

or are all their units designed and built for true deep cycling?
No, they didn't; I just assumed all East Penn batts were awesome. lol

Anyway, if they've got a couple of them in stock, I'm going to grab these Trojan T-105s. It's close by too.

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
Yes my posts can be critical. But the advice is still good.
Buying the Trojans ( reputable batteries) is something I preached and agree with. Good solid basis for your start. You won’t be sorry or worry with them. I was worried you were headed down the East Penn hole. Some could be ok but all Trojan 105 will be.😀

try and only use the. Charles if you can to maintain them so they don’t get screwed up as you continue to read up on this and add on. Is there anyone you can get to test it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yes my posts can be critical. But the advice is still good.
Buying the Trojans ( reputable batteries) is something I preached and agree with. Good solid basis for your start. You won’t be sorry or worry with them. I was worried you were headed down the East Penn hole. Some could be ok but all Trojan 105 will be.😀

try and only use the. Charles if you can to maintain them so they don’t get screwed up as you continue to read up on this and add on. Is there anyone you can get to test it.
I dont want to screw up my new batteries, so if I can have someone confirm that the system isn't working well, I'm going to consider a new, smart battery charging system.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
But I sure hope my 30Amp Charles is still in charge.

Did I just make a Charles in Charge joke? oh yes, I did...

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
Well if it’s a three stage you won’t fry the batteries. And it should charge them then float them maintaining that charge.
If you can find the manual for it or the model number we / I can look into to see if it’s program able to do the desulfating. You do that manually on mine and you hang around or do it overnight while your around it.

when you get the Trojans we can see what that charge would be. Does the Charles allow you to pick the battery type.
charles.....like battery makers makes different levels😀

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Well if it’s a three stage you won’t fry the batteries. And it should charge them then float them maintaining that charge.
If you can find the manual for it or the model number we / I can look into to see if it’s program able to do the desulfating. You do that manually on mine and you hang around or do it overnight while your around it.

when you get the Trojans we can see what that charge would be. Does the Charles allow you to pick the battery type.
charles.....like battery makers makes different levels😀
Yeah, it allows you to pick the battery type, but that's it from what I've found online. No manual, just the odd description (model # 93-12302SP). This is a blurb from Amazon:

"2000 SP Series Marine Electronic Battery Chargers2000 SP Series Marine Electronic Battery Chargers are an excellent choice for value-priced high performance DC charging. This Series units include a battery type selector switch allowing you to charge Lead Acid GEL or AGM batteries. 3-stage charging delivers the greatest charge when the battery is most able to accept it preventing overcharging and extending battery life. Units restore up to 3 banks simultaneously. Other features include the ability to act as a power supply ignition and reverse-polarity protected easy-to-read DC ammeter corrosion-resistant ponents and housing and a heavy-duty heat sink design. Exterior slots allow for easy mounting. 2-year limited manufacturer's warranty. Made in the USA.Multi-step charging provides maximum efficiency Restores up to 3 individual battery banks simultaneously Prevents overcharging and damage extending the life of the batteryDurable corrosion-resistant housing and ponents Constructed of tough anodized aluminum housing that stands up to the elements-including extreme heat humidity and salt air Circuit boards with UL-remended coatings provide the ultimate in environmental protection and hydrolyte stability-meets requirements of MIL-1-46058CRuns cool and quiet at full capacity Effective heat sink eliminates the need for cooling fans on lower wattage units Reduced RFI or EMI interference - meets FCC/Class A requirementsEasy to install and service Battery selector switch allows charger to be used with lead acid gel or AGM batteries Exterior slots for easy mounting Easy access to terminal connections and fuses Product : CHARLES 30 AMP 12 VOLT 120VAC 50/60 HZ 2000 SP Manufacturer : CHARLES MARINE Manufacturer Part No : 93-12302SP-A UPC : 795836070135"

Question regarding sulphation - If I have three new batteries and a functioning 30amp three-stage charger, would I not be avoiding sulphation of my batteries since I can avoid completely depleting the batteries?

My hope is that these new batts will last five years and next time around when I replace, not only will I likely upgrade to AGM batteries, but also to a smart charger.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Charles 2000 is a very good charger. I had one for may years until I sold the boat and the new owner says it is still working fine. if you are recharging fully after every use you will not have a problem with sulfating. that happens when batteries are left below full charge for extended periods or are used and not fully recharged between periods of usage. with the Trojans kept charged after every use you will be good for 5 to 7 years

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
I was enquiring about Costco batts, wondering if they were any good, but my plan is to get two MOTOMASTER golf cart batteries from Canadian Tire which an East Penn agent told me over the phone are entirely their batteries.
Ok
Here is a similar Charles
It has diagrams for hook up
Takeaway
- set the charge profile to lead acid for you 105
-make sure you fuse it on the positive side
BLUE SEA SYSTEMS MRBF 1 Terminal Stud Fuse Block | West Marine

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
Reactions: Vagab0nd

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Preliminary Voltage Testing
House Batt #1 (off charger for 2 days) 13.04 V
House Batt #2 (off charger for 14 hours) 13.14V
NEW Starting battery 12.86 V

BATTERY LOAD TESTER (all batteries 100% charged, except Starting Batt which is New)

House Batt #1 (800MCA) WEAK (would've read weak even for 400)
House Batt #2 (800MCA) WEAK (you've read Weak even for 400)
NEW Starting Batt (800MCA) OK (in the green for 1000 CCA)

*Fully charged, the old house batteries reconnected still get a Low Batt message from VH Radio when I tried to send out.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
read the voltage when you are trying to transmit on the radio at the battery and then at the radio maybe wiring that is going to the radio is high resistance. you may have a high voltage drop in the wiring. also try, put meter plus lead on the battery and the negative on the radio wire at the radio with the radio is transmitting that will tell you voltage drop. any thing over .2 volts and you have a wiring problem

41 - 60 of 91 Posts