SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a sail at the harbor the other day, nice condition clean strong, looks like it hasn't been used that much only problem is the salty air locked all of the piston hanks in place, tried WD-40 to get them unstuck to no success. my question is how do i get these little buggers off the sail, and what tools i need to do so, i know how to put new ones on its just the taking them off i dont want to rip the sail or anything.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Try PBlaster, sold at auto stores. WD40 is a decent lubricant but not a corrosion buster.

Sounds like you need a couple of bigger pliers (water pump pliers, linesmans *****, vise grip, etc.) to open up the traditional hanks.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
If you're talking about hanks that look like this:

You can cut them off fairly easily if you're careful, or you can often pry them open and pull them off that way.

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,970 Posts
I would second SD's recommendation to cut them off, I haven't found an easy way to pry them open even with a vice and lot's of tools. Maybe someone else has figured it out, but I'd cut them with bolt cutters if you have them.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, lots of help, sadly the vinegar did not work looks like ill have to go to my local ace hardware for bolt cutters on the morrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts