SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Flying Junior last fall. The bailers leak when closed so I removed them both from the boat. I took out the whole assembly - mounting plate and valve. It turns out I could have just popped the valve (is that what it''s called?) out by removing the bail and pushing it out the bottom.

In any case I need to know two things: 1) What kind of compound is used to reseat the bailer mounting plate? 2) Where can I get a new set of gaskets or material to make them with? If I make my own what is a good glue to glue them in place?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I''m not sure about where to get the gaskets but just about any silicon rubber would be good for seating it. Don''t use anything too strong (like 5200) as you may want to remove it again.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I bought a Flying Junior last fall. The bailers leak when closed so I removed them both from the boat. I took out the whole assembly - mounting plate and valve. It turns out I could have just popped the valve (is that what it''s called?) out by removing the bail and pushing it out the bottom.

In any case I need to know two things: 1) What kind of compound is used to reseat the bailer mounting plate? 2) Where can I get a new set of gaskets or material to make them with? If I make my own what is a good glue to glue them in place?
neoprene is a good material, found on any hardware store on different thickness, agree on not using 5200 also disagree on using silicon as is very hard to scrap and re seal on the future, I prefer to use any sealant like butyl however the neoprene will give you a nice seal and just a little weeping won't represent a sinking risk.
Just a free advice worth the cost.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Andersen winches makes the bailer now and has kits for them under 20 bucks. need to know the size of the bailer. bought one a while back Vela Sailing. and you could use 3M 4200 or 4000 but should not need it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts