SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Y'all,

I've had a few years of experience on small day sailers in the Baltimore harbor area and am interested in moving up to some bigger boats. I also have some experience crewing on a 30' Beneteau crossing the bay and on a racing crew on a 36' boat on Lake Michigan near Chicago. I'd eventually like to get comfortable with bareboat charters here on the Chesapeake and perhaps elsewhere as well.

I'm looking for some advice on the best way to build up to this. I'm considering taking the ASA 103/104 course once the weather warms up. Just curious if people feel that this is either necessary or sufficient for bareboat chartering in on the Bay. I've tried looking around on some charter company sites for requirements but can't find many specifics. I see that they all require sailing resumes to be submitted. What are they looking for there anyway?

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Your best bet is to call the company you wish to charter from and see what they require, as only they can really tell you - and you might be surprized at how little it actually is.

If you want sailing experience on the bay, there are a number of yacht clubs (like mine) that encourage walk on crew for their weekly races. Personally, I always welcome sailnet members to come out sailing with me on a friday night race.

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Hi Y'all,

I've had a few years of experience on small day sailers in the Baltimore harbor area and am interested in moving up to some bigger boats. I also have some experience crewing on a 30' Beneteau crossing the bay and on a racing crew on a 36' boat on Lake Michigan near Chicago. I'd eventually like to get comfortable with bareboat charters here on the Chesapeake and perhaps elsewhere as well.

I'm looking for some advice on the best way to build up to this. I'm considering taking the ASA 103/104 course once the weather warms up. Just curious if people feel that this is either necessary or sufficient for bareboat chartering in on the Bay. I've tried looking around on some charter company sites for requirements but can't find many specifics. I see that they all require sailing resumes to be submitted. What are they looking for there anyway?

Cheers!

Howdy ban3 and welcome!

Can't help you much with your chartering...but Sailnetters are always welcome to join me as well on a Friday night race! (ChucklesR is the commodore of my club!)

All the best and good luck,
Craig

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi Y'all,

Cheers!

The above sounds like you already have experience sufficient for most if not any charter company - in answer to your question regarding what they look for, the first qualification is money and if you are breathing with money, you almost certainly qualify. The ASA courses and their myriad of equivalents are certainly worthwhile if for no other reason than your comfort level but not prerequisites for chartering.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Craigtoo sails a Saber 38 out of the Magothy, he won the overall for our third series last year. Sounds like he knows how to sail, but considering the competition it really means he showed up for most of the races.

I work the b-more harbor area so it's not to far to commute. You need 10 posts to PM either him or me; I don't post my personal email address on line but you (or anyone else interested) can reach me through the commodore email address in the contacts section at Welcome to YCCSC's Web Site - I really am the commodore of our local yacht club :) (just means I didn't run fast enough come election time).

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Craigtoo sails a Saber 38 out of the Magothy, he won the overall for our third series last year. Sounds like he knows how to sail, but considering the competition it really means he showed up for most of the races.
That explains a lot... and Craig's always bragging about his trophies... :laugher:laugher

I work the b-more harbor area so it's not to far to commute. You need 10 posts to PM either him or me; I don't post my personal email address on line but you (or anyone else interested) can reach me through the commodore email address in the contacts section at Welcome to YCCSC's Web Site - I really am the commodore of our local yacht club :) (just means I didn't run fast enough come election time).
Actually, they waited until he was out getting pizza, and then rammed the nomination and election through behind his back. :)

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
That explains a lot... and Craig's always bragging about his trophies... :laugher:laugher

Actually, they waited until he was out getting pizza, and then rammed the nomination and election through behind his back. :)
(ban3... this is your chance to respond to silly posts to get your count up to 10)

Actually Mr. "I have a Facebook Page" Kim (that's sailingdog), I only bragged like 3 or 4 times about my trophies. And guess what. They're still bigger than yours!

The YCCSC election process is simple. You have to be voted OUT of office. Not in. Once you're an officer... you've got a LIFETIME contract baby.

(That and we have the best parties EVER!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the helpful info on the charter requirements and for the generous offers to come aboard for the Friday evening sails. When the weather gets nice again, I'll certainly be looking up the skippers who extended the invites...

Not sure I follow all the YCCSC bits, but hey, I'll leave you guys to have your fun!

If you wouldn't mind, I would love to hear a bit of advice on the ASA 103 or 104 courses? Have any of you taken them? Are it worth it? Or is the better bet just to put in some time crewing on some cruisers?

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Ban3
YCCSC is the yacht club of cape st claire, the club I'm the erstwhile commodore of which hosts the friday night races on the magothy river, 15 miles south of baltimore.

·
Banned
12,359 Posts
Craig....did you add a swim platform and a bowsprit to your 34 making it a 38.

Dave

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Craig....did you add a swim platform and a bowsprit to your 34 making it a 38.

Dave
Rule #1: The commodore is always right
Rule #2: If the commodore is wrong tell him only if you have Gosling's Black Seal in hand ready to offer.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Sorry, I added the 4 feet because I figured Craig was hanging off the back and making his crew do all the work like normal.
This is a shot of our typical friday night race -
Vehicle Sailboat Sailing Water transportation Sail

I might have over estimated the 4 feet..

Edit - his crew is beating up on a cata leaner 30 crewed by 8 year olds in the foreground.

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Ok ok... My secret it out. I hang off the back and push! Ya gotta do something in the light Magothy Breeze!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Experience

THe charter companies are looking more for experience than a course. However, the course will certainly help. Take these guys up on the offer to crew. You will likely learn a ton. Getting some experience grabbing a mooring and anchoring, all the better. Some time ago, I submitted my meager resume to moorings. They said I qualified to charter a 40 monohull. At the time I submitted, I had never been on a boat that size. Go figure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.