SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mine I have mixed feelings , but just some stats $390./mo. rent utilitys included. That's a 30ft. slip, you are allowed up to a 34'9""boat in the 30ft. slp. Non live aboard . Live aboard I think is $125 extra . Marina staff has it's ups and downs , But is OK. I'm not asking for location / scenery/ outside amenities, like restaurants, groceries . What I would like to hear about is price of slip and management/ quality of marina docks / security / maintenance, and basically how you feel you are being treated as a paying customer. OK who am I trying to kid here if you love/hate your marina/mooring everything included . I want to hear about it . Ps my marina is now running ads in local non boating news papers , soliciting for new renters . Ouch there was always a waiting list .

·
19,485 Posts
We're in a very tight moorage market. At $13/ft/mo you're getting up there, we're still just under $10 (but we pay a discounted full year in advance)

Our dock maintenance is good, security is live 24/7 with personnel around the clock, plus a good network of cameras. No locked gates but that's of limited effect - in our experience most outboard thieves come and go by water anyhow. Relatively rare breakins and we've not been affected or hit yet (6 years there now).

It's a city fishermans' marina managed by a board of directors, who must be fishermen. Given that of late the recreational vessels are about 30% of the moorage slips and obviously the fishermens' interests are not always aligned with ours, it would be nice to see that change. We pay fair market rates, perhaps a bit less, but still pay many times more than the licensed fishboats so we really are financially supporting their cause.

However the location is superb (5 mins to sails up), as is the shelter, parking is provided and wifi is also available, along with basic amenities like laundry, water and power. Overall we're quite happy, esp since our last location was behind a strong tidal gate about a 2 mile 'no-sail-zone' from open water.

Reactions: Markwesti

·
Barquito
3,753 Posts
I have a mooring. No place to store the dinghy. I haul the thing on top of the car and scape it over rip rap to launch. However, I paid something like $900 for the mooring. I own the equipment, and basically have squatters rights to the location. The only expense is maintaining the mooring gear. At any point I could sell the mooring for about what I bought it for. Shoe string heaven.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Barquito, the mooring thing is interesting to me . In 3 mos. I spend what you spend forever.Less maint. I take it you like it . But for me I like a marina it's like a second home for me . No wait my first home ! My little shack on land is 2nd. home. But back to the rating thing I would give my marina a C+.

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
I pay $10/ft/mth to park a boat against a rickety finger (angles about 30 degrees to the water now), no power, that's extra. Location is good, very sheltered, facilities are good in terms of businesses there (fairly expensive yard, little chandlers that actually sells useful things, little machine shop etc) but nothing there in terms of other attractions such as a bar/restaurant which is fine by me, although it would be nice to go get a drink after a sail. It's pretty much the cheapest place around, nothing spectacular but it does the job. I think I would sail an awful lot less if I had the boat on a mooring, and I would certainly not get anywhere near as much maintenance done on her.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A dink would be nice , so is that $270/mo. hey also what is your sailing demography, ie are there any islands you can sail to . Is your marina manager a bone head?

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
When I first bought a sailboat, a 22 footer, I decided to keep it in a slip because I hated trailering it and I didn't want to deal with the ramp/mast raising/etc. alone (I was single at the time). I chose a marina first by using the Maryland Clean Marina list and starting at the top of the bay and working my way south from my house. My current marina is the first one who either didn't say 1) your boat is too small for us or 2) charge me a 30 foot rate for a 22 foot boat and, most importantly to me, a new sailor, 3) they were a sailboat marina first with some former America's Cup and current Key West racing sailors so I figure they'd be able to give me good advice when I needed it.

We stayed through our second boat and have had absolutely no complaints.

The docks are well maintained, management is responsive. A few of the yard guys live aboard in the marina so they as well as all the slip holders look after each other's boats. We can work on our boat and the marina has even let us use their tools (but we don't take advantage of them, we'll ask in an emergency only).

·
19,485 Posts
.....hey also what is your sailing demography, ie are there any islands you can sail to . Is your marina manager a bone head?
Smack in the middle of arguably the best summertime cruising grounds worldwide... Good marinas/anchorages within a couple of hours and combined with Puget Sound's offerings, literally uncountable hideyholes between Olympia WA and Western Alaska.

And no, the marina manager is far from a bonehead!;)

Reactions: Dave_E

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
I leave my harbour and I can see at least 8 islands almost immediately, I am in the southern Gulf Islands, so an excellent area, San Juans are a hop over the border away as well. Don't know the marina manager.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
DRFerron, that was a good response. In my marina system (there are 2 marinas)they do not allow 20ft. in one marina, and that cuts a lot of people off. I am very interested to hear about the clean marina thing you are talking about . As we have that but it's only a political thing to get funding . Man I am so getting kicked out of my marina .

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts

·
Just A Member
32 Posts
I give it an A+. Floating dry dock, dock box, water, ele.,clean, surveillance 24/7, friendly dock hands, 2.5 miles to ocean with nice rock jettys,. Been there 5 years, was only 4 sailboats there then and 14 now. Price was $300.00 then and it is the same now. Crickett Cove in Little River,S.C..

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
You still want me to move my boat, Mark? Right now I pay $9 per foot for a monthly bill of $212. I'm in the middle of nowhere, five miles up a channel from open water. Amenities are sparse, but the showers are hot and clean. The nearest restaurant is a dive bar called the Chowder Barge. Decent soup and ice cold beer, but I have to drive to get anywhere...I was thinking about moving to Mark's marina as it is centrally located to anything you could possible want.

·
Registered
25,104 Posts
The quality of the docks at our marina are excellent, restrooms are average, parking is excellent. A travel lift is available, along with storage on the hard, which is not always the case (it wasn't at our last marina). Dock hands are generally high school and college summer kids and are great.

The big downside is the reliability of maintenance service. It is important to have it available, as something may prevent our next weekend cruise, if not taken care of during the week. Our marina maintenance service is grossly unreliable, sometimes ineffective, can take weeks to get estimates, and have actually caused some damage while fixing others. Outrageous when I find vibram workboot sole marks on my teak decks! The most unreliable are the third party vendors they bring in from outside. Essentially a captive audience that's taken advantage of. If you ever point out that the marina manager has made a mistake or suggest you need a reasonable estimate in less than two weeks, the retaliation will be uncomfortable.

If not for the service problem, the place would be A+. Service brings the overall grade below passing and we only stay because of the very favorable location and friends we've made there.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
We are on a mooring. $900 for May 15 to October 15. Maybe 15 other boats on moorings, a mix of sail and power, and a few powerboats on the old wooden dock. Free and plentiful dinghy parking. Bathrooms and a general store that sells beer a short walk away. Sail away from the mooring, countless beaches and islands to explore within a daysail distance.

I thought we had to have a dock with power and water when we first bought the boat in 2012. I was actually pretty distressed that I could not find a slip nearby, so reluctantly took a mooring for the short term, and have now already paid the mooring through the 2014 season. We have stayed on docks for a night or two at a time and find it really uncomfortable compared to the mooring.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I'm fairly happy with mine. It's $185 a month, for a 42 foot sailboat boat, power included, for a slip with direct ocean access. It's a nice slip.

There is real nice Tiki style bar and grill about a hundred yards from my boat.

The down side is no showers or bathrooms. But, the Tiki Bar doesn't care if you use their bathroom whenever you want. But, still no showers.

In this picture, my boat is on the pier you can see, about 20 feet past where the picture stops.

All in all, I'm pretty happy, especially with the price, since when I was in Miami, I paid over twice as much for a slip in a crappy location.

·
Registered
712 Posts
My marina in Everett, WA (largest on the west coast we're told) is also the least expensive in Puget Sound, very well maintained, good staff, super clean shore facilities, with fine dining and all the marine stores (retail and services) you could ever want all around. Now, that being said, I'm sure there are folks there that will dissagree with me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am very happy with our marina. The charge is $6.80 per foot per month with a minimum charge of 30 feet. Very clean restrooms with showers, laundry room, recreational room, always monitors the radio for line help, and well maintained. One of the best hurricane holes around. The marina throws at least two saturday bashes for the boat owners as well as numerous get togethers by the boat owners. Very close knit group for a relatively large marina with 274 slips.

·
Load Bearing Member
644 Posts
We love our boat club. 2 years ago I would have been happy with a town mooring and 'at your own risk' dinghy tie up. That's how I grew up; I'd never known different*. Now it will be a huge step down.

We rent a mooring from the club for $1250/yr and pay another $300 for membership dues so we can use the clubhouse. We have a 'mostly secure' dinghy tie up and 100yd or so transit to the mooring float.

Plenty of parking in the dirt lot; 75 cents for sodas in the machine; 50 cents for ice; 3 bathrooms; 2 showers; washer/dryer and ironing board; full kitchen (clean up after yourself!); tipping the dock-hands is not allowed;

The best part? In late October I send an email to the club manager; he takes the club workboat out to the mooring, picks up my boat, hauls it, pressure washes it, puts it on stands in the club parking lot, and emails me back to say it's done. The reverse happens in the spring.

When I needed to change the engine out and the new one didn't start? (dead battery) He towed me back out to my mooring, no charge.

If I need a slip for a day or two to get work done? He lets me use one for free if he can find one.

The bad?

There is nothing within walking distance, but several nice restaurants and shops a few miles away.

We are 4 miles and 2 lift bridges from the ocean.

Ken

*Yes, slips existed back then; we never had one.

·
Registered
178 Posts
We keep our boat in Channel Islands Harbor in Oxnard CA. There is real wind here, like over 10kts. Our slip is $13.00 a foot. (ouch right?) The docks are old 1960's however the place is well kept, bathrooms/showers always super clean. I'm tucked in behind some apartments so there is a nice wind shadow which is great for docking single handed. There is a club house to hang out at and read, pool too.. Once a month or so they host a marine professional to give talks. (paint guy, rigger, fisherman, electrician, ect.) 5 mins to open water and 2+ hours to the Channel Islands (Annacapa Island) There are newer marinas on the other side of the harbor but they are at $15.00 afoot or more. Plenty of vacancies for both marinas. I would rate it at a 8 out of 10. Price seems high with respect to the vacancies, supply & demand.

Brad
Lancer 36

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.