SailNet Community banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
All depends on the boat ! Still get a tan of reflections ...
I know I'm going to sound like a broken record, but your first picture is a great example of what I'm talking about.
I just don't see how the main sheet which is has a traveler right behind the cockpit is not making contact with your bimini when your boom and sail are to the side. Won't the beam pull your sheet forward at an angle when that happens? How does it not hit your bimini? Thanks for the pics BTW.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
When I was sailing, I ALWAYS had the bimini in place, which did a great job during mid day, but late in the afternoon, the sun blazed through the side and there was no escape. I solved this problem with an inexpensive, silver, poly tarp that was 4 feet wider than the bimini. I draped it over the bimini, than lashed the overhang down with bungi cords attached to the bimini connections on the gunwale - worked like a charm. Not only did it keep the sun from coming in the side, but additionally, the silver color reflected the sun's rays and the temperature was 10 degrees cooler than it was using that dark blue binimi. OK, so I looked a bit like the Beverly Hillbillies, but damned, it sure made a big difference in the overall comfort level in the cockpit.

Gary :cool:
Nice tip thanks. I'll take Beverly Hillbillies any day if it saves a sunburn :)

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,186 Posts
So we are consistently finding Irish people making creative sun blocking solutions- LOL :)
It looks like your boat is an O'day 34. I'll add that to my short list of 'shadables'.
By the way I'm sure this is a totally stupid noob question, but in pictures it looks like some boats, yours included there is no end of boom sheet, just a main sheet, is that correct? If so perhaps that should be added to my requirements list.
Nice work by the way.
O'Day 35 actually.

Mid-boom sheeting, with a traveler.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Rush2112 Look at the shape of the hardtop in the second image !
Ahhh right! I think I get it now. I see the angle cuts...
And then when the mast is out at a far angle like in the pic attached (orange) the sheet (red) is actually running UNDER the bimini.
You can see where the red in the pic would be hitting the bimini, and the farther out the boom, the more the red line cuts into the bimini, but then if it's travelling under, it's not a problem. Do I have this correct?

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
O'Day 35 actually.

Mid-boom sheeting, with a traveler.
OK, O'Day 35 added to the list.
Yeah nice bimini BTW, I also like the robust hand holds (in just the right spot!) and the large cover to the rear.
It's good to see different people's solutions.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
My boom sheeted to the back of the cockpit on my Morgan 33 Out Island. The bimini was situated just a few inches in front of the main sheet, which was 6.5 feet above the cockpit deck. The boom cleared the Bimini by about 2 inches and the Bimini had rubber covers where the supports were located to prevent wear, even when the sail was down and the sail cover in place.

·
Emmalina
31 Posts
Ahhh right! I think I get it now. I see the angle cuts...
And then when the mast is out at a far angle like in the pic attached (orange) the sheet (red) is actually running UNDER the bimini.
You can see where the red in the pic would be hitting the bimini, and the farther out the boom, the more the red line cuts into the bimini, but then if it's travelling under, it's not a problem. Do I have this correct?
Correct it doesn't touch the hard top !

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
My boom sheeted to the back of the cockpit on my Morgan 33 Out Island. The bimini was situated just a few inches in front of the main sheet, which was 6.5 feet above the cockpit deck. The boom cleared the Bimini by about 2 inches and the Bimini had rubber covers where the supports were located to prevent wear, even when the sail was down and the sail cover in place.

View attachment 136471
OK, so you really can get away with a lot tighter clearances than I was thinking.
And that biminis can be fit on more boats than I thought.
Learned a lot in this thread, thanks again to all, especially those who posted pics as the visual aid really helps!

61 - 69 of 69 Posts