SailNet Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to install a solent stay on my mast head sloop. If I choose to have a mast connection for the solent stay welded, how is the welding done? I see a potential problem with welding a thick fitting to a thin wall aluminum mast. Should the welder be experienced with welding mast or could any certified welder do the job? What type of aluminum is used for the fitting? Does it matter if the mast and new welded fitting are not the same aluminum series, nor the welding rod/wire?

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
I did some arc welding a long time ago. Did OK on heavier stock but had heap big trouble with thin material. Never tried welding aluminum. If you go the welding route, I suggest you find the best professional you can, you generally get what you pay for, maybe someone who welds aluminum boats, professionally :)

Paul T

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Speaking as a military nuke welder it should be best to have the tang rivited in welding on a mast while possible the tang is a much better idea here are a few recommends for you to check with Customer Testimonials
Thanks for the link. I have spoken with Art Nelson. I plan to have him do some of my rigging. Thanks for the additional contacts.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
No problem was wondering if you would be willing to look at a boat there for me if dad decides he wants it to save possible unnecessary trip to the islands to get her and find problems they didn't disclose

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No problem was wondering if you would be willing to look at a boat there for me if dad decides he wants it to save possible unnecessary trip to the islands to get her and find problems they didn't disclose
Be happy to. I can take some pics and e-mail. We got a couple hurricanes headed our way over the next 8 days, but after that would be a good time to go look.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,628 Posts
T-ball fitting best way! Also because stress will crack welds on something that is getting stress 3- 4 directions.

Reactions: newhaul

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
fwiw t ball fittings have the worst record of failures...all things equal you have to make sure there is movement and the angle must be correct...if the fitting doesnt move or is installed at a bad angle the most common way it fails is to crack right at the neck...

if it where me the bolted through tang is the best. it also allows for numerous different attachment options..as well as simple use of toggles or shackles that will allow for movement on different axis...

·
Registered
490 Posts
I am planning to install a solent stay on my mast head sloop. If I choose to have a mast connection for the solent stay welded, how is the welding done? I see a potential problem with welding a thick fitting to a thin wall aluminum mast. Should the welder be experienced with welding mast or could any certified welder do the job? What type of aluminum is used for the fitting? Does it matter if the mast and new welded fitting are not the same aluminum series, nor the welding rod/wire?
Convert Your Sloop to a Double-Headsail Rig | Sail Magazine

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
The old fashioned way for shrouds and stays was a finger on the backside of the mast and a loose fitting eye dropped on it. Self aligning with the new rope fore stay, and doesn't weaken the extrusion. My 500 sq ft gennie on roller and shrouds on a topmast never gave a whimper. (eyes are parcel and served)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.