SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Philippe
23 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am curious to understand the difference between a fixed keel boat and a keel + centerboard IF the displacement & ballast are close in both version. For example:

Valiant 40 - Keel + Centerboard (rare but it's an example only)
LOA: 40'
LWL: 34'
Beam: 12'4"
Displacement: 22,500 lbs
Draft: 4'-6'
Ballast: 7,7000 lbs

Valiant 40 - Fixed Keel:
LOA: 39'11"
LWL: 34'
Beam: 12'4"
Displacement: 22500
Draft: 6'
Ballast: 7800

If I was to calculate all common sailboat ratios related to speed, stability, capsize risk, none is ever related to the depth of the keel, but more often to the LWL, Beam, Displacement, Ballast and Sail Area.

Therefore, what would be the drawback of purchasing a keel + centerboard sailboat for offshore cruising/sailing, versus a fixed keel one? Does it impact safety? stability? or only speed?

Thank you
Philippe

· Philippe
23 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the insights. If you can expand on the "noise" issue since I am not sure to understand. Aren't they supposed to be locked in placed once down?

So, based on what the few of you already said, that would bring my next question: Since most bluewater/offshore cruisers tend to have keels longer than 5'2" (what I have been said to be the max you want in the small tributaries of the Chesapeak, ICW, Caribbeans), what bluewater cruisers with a good keel/CB design exists out there? The Valiant was only one example, and I am trying to find others of the same caliber.

Thanks again for the replies!
Philippe

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.