SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How does this backstay adjuster work

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  ezatsea 
#1 ·
This picture is from a boat we're looking at. The listing refers to it as a 'manual backstay adjuster'. How exactly does it work? Also, any ideas what the black ball would be used for?

[/URL][/IMG]

See less See more
#2 ·
That type of backstay adjuster is much like glorified turnbuckle. The flaps come up and it is screwed in or out to adjuct the tension. The black ball is part of a man overboard pole system. The pole slides down through the ring fastened on the rail and snaps over the ball.

#6 ·
Black Ball

I would suggest the black ball is the base of a storable dinghy engine lift.

check out St Croix Little lift on West Marine Web Site.
"Little" Crane, 175 lb. Capacity, 30" Arm Reach, 7:1 Purchase, 75' Line Length from ST. CROIX MARINE

I have one I picked up used. I am in the process of installing the ball and the ring that supports the crane on the life rails. The crane is in two parts, the lower half is just a tube that sits over the ball and slides thru the ring. the upper half has the crane. When it is not in place you stow it out of the way.

They are good to typically up to 100 lbs and can be used for anything, dinghy engines (which is why I bought mine) or scuba tanks, etc.

cheers

#8 ·
lifting davit

Pegasus,
Good add. I have heard that Garhauer makes good stuff at a reasonable price. I picked up my lifting davit at a marine consignment store, used, for a a very good price, so no complaints from me. But it is always good to know what options are available.

I bought an old 2 stroke 4 hp Johnson for my dinghy that only weighs 24 lbs. But I still find that difficult to lift off the rail while standing below it on the swim ladder, so I picked up the lifting davit at the same time. I like that it stores out of the way, it swings freely and just makes it easier to get the engine down to the inflatable.

cheers

#9 ·
My OB was the main source of propulsion (in zero wind) for the boat. It was a 9.9 Yamaha 4-stroke that weighed about 115 lbs. I only used the davit twice in a season -- between uses the davit went home for storage. But the ability to handle an expensive motor that heavy with just fingertip force (the ME was 6:1) made it easy to manage singlehanded, even with a
bad back :):):)

Pegasus,
I bought an old 2 stroke 4 hp Johnson for my dinghy that only weighs 24 lbs. But I still find that difficult to lift off the rail while standing below it on the swim ladder, so I picked up the lifting davit at the same time. I like that it stores out of the way, it swings freely and just makes it easier to get the engine down to the inflatable.

cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.