SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to me boat. I've got extra sails but I've never owned a boat with a furler.

Furler is a Harken MkII

I've got a 103% headsail, and a 167%, and I'd guess the sail on it right now is around 140%.

The luff on both sails that are in the sailbags look like this. Just kind of a sleeve looking thing:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
The sleeve looking thing goes in to a track on the foil. Head first. Take the existing sail down, and raise the replacement. It helps to have someone pre-feeding it as you raise the halyard. They do make pre-feeders so that you can do it solo. I'm sure there must be some videos out there somewhere that illustrate all this.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,474 Posts
Not all sails are communal-interchangeable. Tempest is likely right if your furler system has a foil and the rope luff is the same.

If I was lucky enough to have a furling headsail I'd likely leave on a 135ish sail and use only pack a storm jib and spinakker or genaker for light winds and runs.

The beauty of a furling system is to not have extra sails in your way.

·
12,139 Posts
Good advice just feed it up the track while someone pulls/ winches it up. Set up you sheets ahead of time. If you have a 137 and go to the bigger sail you need some extra turns around the drum before you put the sail on so it furls up entirely with a number of turns of the sheet around the furled sail.

Does the 137 have furling marks on the foot so you know it’s down to say 120 or 110. If not I’d put some on the foot.
the sails look oldish and the clue for the sheets seems a little unimpressive so if you intend to keep this sail I’d have it beefed up some by a sailmaker.

Furled sails loose a little , the Harken ( which I have too) is nice that it furls top and bottom somewhat equally to preserve its shape. The Chessie has some very lite summer winds in general July and August so we change our head sail to a 155. 135 for our trips in the Atlantic up the coast to Newport and Massachusetts. As soon as the fronts start coming through every couple days we change back.

Reactions: BoatWulf and BarryL

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good advice just feed it up the track while someone pulls/ winches it up. Set up you sheets ahead of time. If you have a 137 and go to the bigger sail you need some extra turns around the drum before you put the sail on so it furls up entirely with a number of turns of the sheet around the furled sail.

Does the 137 have furling marks on the foot so you know it’s down to say 120 or 110. If not I’d put some on the foot.
the sails look oldish and the clue for the sheets seems a little unimpressive so if you intend to keep this sail I’d have it beefed up some by a sailmaker.

Furled sails loose a little , the Harken ( which I have too) is nice that it furls top and bottom somewhat equally to preserve its shape. The Chessie has some very lite summer winds in general July and August so we change our head sail to a 155. 135 for our trips in the Atlantic up the coast to Newport and Massachusetts. As soon as the fronts start coming through every couple days we change back.
Thank you, I hadn't thought of a lot of that. I didn't even think of needing to add turns on the furler to match the length of the sail.

·
12,139 Posts
Thank you, I hadn't thought of a lot of that. I didn't even think of needing to add turns on the furler to match the length of the sail.
Welcome and Roger that

We all learn by our experiences and those around us.....that’s if you are willing to learn and open minded and inquisitive

Lots of good information on the site.....and opinions😀😀😀😀

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome and Roger that

We all learn by our experiences and those around us.....that’s if you are willing to learn and open minded and inquisitive

Lots of good information on the site.....and opinions😀😀😀😀
Even bad opinions can be useful. Half the time because I'm thinking "yeah that makes sense!" and then someone else comes along and explains why that won't work. So it saves me time and frustration of trying out a bad idea that I probably would have had on my own.

And if nothing else a bad opinion teaches that you shouldn't listen to everyone without doing some research on your own. In the end we're all responsible for our own choices.😁

I have learned a LOT from this site however. I've sailed for 20 years on small boats, and I still feel like a novice.

·
12,139 Posts
Even bad opinions can be useful. Half the time because I'm thinking "yeah that makes sense!" and then someone else comes along and explains why that won't work. So it saves me time and frustration of trying out a bad idea that I probably would have had on my own.

And if nothing else a bad opinion teaches that you shouldn't listen to everyone without doing some research on your own. In the end we're all responsible for our own choices.😁

I have learned a LOT from this site however. I've sailed for 20 years on small boats, and I still feel like a novice.
Lol me too....40 some years and 23 with current boat

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
lots of good tips there. I didn't mean give such a short answer ( i.e. videos ) but I was leaving for work..had to be quick. ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts