SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking for suggestions on where to sail on east coast of USA and Gulf of Mexico. We have a 27 Corsair trimaran and live in New England. We would like to travel south trailering the boat to sail for a few weeks or more once winter sets in (Jan- May). We are wondering how far south we would have to travel before launching the boat. Would love suggestions for reasonably priced marinas that can accommodate a 27' boat that has a 19' beam. We are experienced lake sailors and are looking to expand our horizons. Thanks for any suggestions, ideas, support.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I would say, North Carolina. Lots of people sail in winter here. Great, inexpensive, friendly marinas, lots of beautiful places to see. Make Oriental, NC your launch base and you will be happy you did. And with your shallow draft you will love this area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool ! Thanks for the info! It is so helpful to get some direction when you have a new venture in mind. Ps- love you avatar-- just spent some time in Alaska!

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
When I was shopping for my Morgan 33 the temperature in mid January in Oriental was 17 degrees and the water at the marina was ice covered with 3 inches of ice. Go to the Florida Keys and you will love it. Warm temperatures, balmy breezes every day, beautiful environment.

Good luck,

Gary :cool:

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
I think it really depends on how cold tolerant you are. I would be quite happy in NC as if it is over say 30 degrees I am fine and that is most of the winter there. Sure they may get colder occasionally not for long. But then again you will be on a limited time schedule perhaps it might make sense to head further south. But for long term relocation I think NC would suit me fine. The other issue is what do you want to see while you are there. The Keys do offer some great cruising, likely the best winter cruising in for the winter but it can be pretty crowded and expensive, especially if looking for marinas. The west coast around Tampa/Clearwater looks pretty nice, and has some stuff to stop and see.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Jan-Mar, Florida. Apr-May, NC.

For NC, starting from Oriental, you can do a loop, then head out to Beaufort for some open water.

For FL, start from either Biscayne Bay or Tampa Bay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Gary! All this information is helping get on the right track with my researching!

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
There are some great locations on the West Coast of Florida, especially near Punta Gorda. I have some friends that live aboard in that area full time and they absolutely love it. I paid them a visit last winter, ended up staying a couple days, and played music on the dock for their daily sundown cocktail dock party. We had a ball, they didn't want me to stop playing, but I'm getting old and only lasted two hours each night, which I think was enough. They live at Fisherman's Village Yacht Club. Check it out at Fishermen's Village - Punta Gorda, Florida

All the best,

Gary :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts