SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I'm new to sailing and thought Maptech chartkits might be a good way to get started with building a library of charts, and living in Philadelphia region 4 makes sense. Unfortunately it looks like the 14th edition was published at the beginning of 2017 and is getting a little long in the tooth.

Does anyone know how frequently new editions are published? I thought I heard a sales person at West Marine say it was 3 years. If a new one is imminent I'd like to hold off on getting it. Otherwise, I'm eager to have something I can use to get familiar with looking at and plotting with.

Thanks for any thoughts or help,
digger

·
Registered
21,800 Posts
Shoals move around and sometimes nav aids, but in most places, primary channels stay pretty constant. The hard bits never move. Ironically, if you look on any NOAA chart, which must be where MapTec gets their data, you’ll see a legend of the last time depths were surveyed. Very often it’s a decade old. Last I checked our Bay, there was a spot something like 100 years old.

Electronic nav is the best way to have the most current, but even that isn’t current to today. If your area doesn’t get much storm shoaling, any reasonably recent chart should be fine.

p.s. I use those books as my backup paper. Bought my set about ten years ago. I’ve used them every year for something and they haven’t let me down yet but I’m very careful to recognize that movable charted things, like ATNs can move.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Minnewaska thanks for your reply! What you say makes sense -- I hadn't been thinking about it in that way. Your examples are exactly what was pointed out to us on the charts and on the water by the instructor of the ASA103 class I just completed. I guess that means a Region 4 Chartkit is soon to be had.
digger

1 - 3 of 3 Posts