SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my Pearson sloop 2 reefing lines go through the boom exiting both ends. Unfortunately one came out and I cannot figure out how to feed it back through the boom.
Any ideas??? I have tried feeding it through but no go... it bunches up...

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
On my Pearson sloop 2 reefing lines go through the boom exiting both ends. Unfortunately one came out and I cannot figure out how to feed it back through the boom.
Any ideas??? I have tried feeding it through but no go... it bunches up...
A 25' steel tape measure is usually stiff enough that it can be threaded the length of a boom after which one can affix a small "messenger line" to the outboard end and draw that back through the boom as the tape measure reals itself up. I have used this method on our 17' boom and on a friend's 15 foot boom with little difficulty. If you don't have messenger line aboard odds are you may have some dental floss which works well (BTDT).

Good luck....

·
19,485 Posts
Another thing you might try is attach a ferrous nut to a light messenger line and use a magnet to drag it through the boom.. then use the messenger line to pull the main line through.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Use any other line (topping lift, other reef line etc.) that is already in the boom as a messenger line. If you don't have any you'll need to run a snake through.

·
Registered
661 Posts
What he said ^

You can get a snake for under twenty bucks and it is a good tool to have around the house/boat

·
Banned
12,357 Posts
Fish tape...great for this and pulling/ threading elctric wires.

·
Sailor
935 Posts
I have successfully used that Klein Fish tape to rethread the reefing lines through my boom. It takes a little time and luck but with patience you will persevere. Just take care to make sure you go over all blocks and that it threads right.

Tod

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not sure what it looks like but if is 2 smaller holed on each end a fishtape (electrical wire pulling tape) into one end and a coat hanger with a hook into the other and offset bend into the end.. Twirl the coat hanger until you hook the tape and pull until hook catches hook. If you can get a line to go to the end just use the hanger.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If the 2 reef lines are not separated by any partition, you can tie a tracing cord to the existing one to pull the cord through then tie both reef lines to the cord and pull back.
Otherwise electrician fishtape would be very helpful.

·
Registered
2002 Catalina 36 MKII
169 Posts
Same thing happened to me. We have outhaul, topping lift and 2 reefs all coming through the boom.

When the second reef line came out accidently I just tied 2 messenger lines to the first reef, pulled it out of the boom, and then used the lines to re-run both reefs. Sort of 1 step backward, two steps forward, but it was still only about a 10 minute job.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Same thing happened to me. We have outhaul, topping lift and 2 reefs all coming through the boom.

When the second reef line came out accidently I just tied 2 messenger lines to the first reef, pulled it out of the boom, and then used the lines to re-run both reefs. Sort of 1 step backward, two steps forward, but it was still only about a 10 minute job.
Thats a good explanation "one step back, two steps forward" :) :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
I ditto the fish tape. I just replaced the line in my boom. A 50' fish tape from Lowes was about $20. I had to cut the hook off the end of the tape as it and the temporarilly connected line would not fit through the exit hole on the forward end of the boom. Used duct tape to splice the line to the fish.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts