SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
11,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how has your life morphed. I imagine may be a little different for those at home and those cruising. Lots of room for “DRIFT” here😄😄😄

For me:
1- more walking ( good for me after my recent total knee replacement)
2- more naps. Having no problem taking a 45 minute to 1.5 hour
nap mid afternoon
3- greater variety of food recipes. Have done a lot of no sugar and low
Carb baking.
4- more reading. Am working at finishing books 5 and 6
5- more TV. This has been a varied thing. In the beginning it was more
News oriented. Watch all different channels. Like watching Gov Cuomo
Conference. After last week would watch Trumps even though I like
Fauci and Brixit. Going after reporters and recommending bleach was
Just too much. I have watched a number of Netflix series and movies
As well as documentaries.
6- more discussions with my wife. We aLways talked a lot together
7- more house project fixes . With boat ready but not able to use
Have done more at home projects
8- More use of FaceTime talking with friends and family

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
My routine is actually changed very little. hahahahaha

WORK
My work which I do largely from my home office has been in decline for a year now.... and many weeks I have no work at all.... and since Covid19 none. I sometimes take continuing ed courses online.

CHORES
I do all the grocery marketing and cleaning the dishes. Wify works and cooks / prepares dinner... and lunch when she's home. I do all the driving as she does not have a license. This means I have to take her to and pick her up from her daughter's place in the Bronx so she can help out there and see her grand daughters. I also have to take her other grand daughter to gymnastics class on Sunday that we pay for. After gymnastics we pick up her cousin and take them for lunch, or shopping or to check on the boat. Wifey's grandson was born premature on March 8 and so I had to drive wifey to hospital numerous times... and actually drive, grand son home with mother and father when he was released a few weeks later. He's fine. I do a lot of chauffeuring in the best of times. I do all the care of Jack...walking, feeding, vet and so on. Now we do our shopping once a week for us and sis. Super markets are a PITA since corona.

BOAT
Normally I visit the boat at least once a week or two through the winter... plan, buy what I need for projects and begin doing them mostly in March and move the boat by about mid April. My storage contract ends 1 May. April I get serious with "outside" projects but don't paint the bottom during the Spring Madness. March 8 was the last time I was at the boat because of the lock down. I finally went this week with the wifey and we fired up the engine and filled the water tanks. Looks like we will move the boat next Saturday to summer mooring after one day more of abbreviated Spring prep to get the boat ready to navigate.

CARE OF SISTER
Normally this involved visits and taking her out for a meal or a doctor visit. In the middle of February she began a series of falls ending up in hospital as her dementia condition took a dive at the beginning of the year a string of falls which brought her to the hospital several times. The assisted living told me I had to get her 24/7 care as they cannot provide that.

In early march I decided to move her to an apartment something she had been wanting for the past 3 years since she was moved to assisted living. She simply cannot take care of herself and I am her only living relative... so it falls to me as POA and HCP. I set up aids and then found an apartment upstairs from us... did the lease, moved the Spectrum account, set up ConEd... shopped for food, ordered prepared frozen vegan meals for her...shopped for all the odds and ends including a new mattress, that an apartment needs thru Amazon, arranged for a move, rented the U haul. The move involved getting her disassembled massive custom built Italian bed stored in my garage upstairs and set up, emptying her storage room and moving that to the new apartment as well. Lots of organizing and "choreography".
The first three weeks of March was a madness of planning, buying, communication with lawyers, financial planners, arranging guys to do the move and so on.

The move came on a day that the assisted living went into lock down but they let the move take place by literally having their staff haul all her possessions to the driveway at the front entrance and dropping them there. I got some help from wifey who is still working at Montefiore in the Bronx.

She was extremely agitated at the world but mostly me for being the main problem in her life. Of course this was her dementia... but it's tough to deal with. And it continues to be a struggle as she wants to "move home" which I think is Italy. Care of sister is a vacuum of time.

MEDICAL
I have been doing physical therapy 2x week since my (failed) spine surgery 2 years ago. I have some PT equipment at home as work on that each day (too little). With little to no progress from the PT I took myself to a few knee doctors and then made visits for MRIs and finally to receive gel injections. I was told my knees are bad but not ready for replacements so I just have to suffer.
My hearing has been in decline and all I can do is have the aids "adjusted". Which I can't now.
Because my ears are messed up... and the surgery damaged my right sciatic nerve I have lost some of my balance control. Because of that... even if I could... I cannot move quickly because my leg can't respond quickly enough. Hard to describe. My legs (right especially) have become weaker... and this has reduced my ability to walk more than 500 feet... or stand for on line for example... or lift heavy loads.
I saw a physiatrist - sports doctor... with the hope of getting a complete analysis and treatment protocol for my walking/balance/spine issues. All they do is recommend PT which I can't do outside because of the lock down.
Along with all the above, two of my caps fell off and I can't get a dental appointment to get them re set or more likely new ones made.
I have had two tele medical exams which are pretty useless... rhuematologist and primary care physical... but in office visits are no better.

CULTURE & MULTI-TASKING
Online reading - news, articles, ordering, searches, performances - ballet, ice skating, musical. We watch you tubes but rarely movies. I do not like Hollywood after the early 50s. We do video calls with the grand kids. Weekly house cleaning and repairs. Cable TV news is on all day (never ever FOX) whether watched or not. We usually go to a live performance, or a museum or a tour of a historic site each weekend during the non boating months. That ended in early March after our last visit to the Whitney for Mexican Muralists 1925-1945. All of that is closed down.

·
Old soul
4,509 Posts
Wow Sander, after reading your list of duties and activities, I'm both exhausted and a little embarrassed to complain about my changes. You're amazing.

For my spouse and I, our boat is our only home. But due to our choice to remain north (so far), we only live on board for about 1/2 the year. The cold months are mostly spent house sitting.

Covid-19 blew all house sitting plans apart. We were 1/2-way through our third of four arranged sits when everything collapsed. We had to vacate early, and our fourth house cancelled. This could have left us truly homeless, but luckily my sister opened her small house to us. We've been hunkered down since then with her and my mother who also lives here.

It's a small condo -- perhaps 700 sq. ft. Four adults. We sleep on our camping bed rolls, and don't really have any privacy, but we're doing fine. We get out for walks and groceries, but that's about it. My spouse and I do most of the cooking and shopping. My mom is in the extreme risk age bracket so she's not going out at all. And my sister is working from home.

All my work (freelance writer/editor) evaporated as publishers have pulled back on projects. Bummer for income, but means I have more time to exercise my literary propensities here on SN ;).

The other 1/2 of our family is out west, so we've been holding regular Zoom sessions with sisters/brothers/aunts-in-law, nephews and nieces. Once a week about five or six households Zoom in for a musical jam session. Includes guitars, ukuleles, a bodhrán, and lots of singing. And then a few days later a somewhat different group Zooms in for a philosophical chit-chat. This week's topic is "Morality." Should be fun.

So yeah... it's definitely changed my daily routine. It's going to be weird going back to "normal."

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just fully retired in Jan. Really the only thing that has changed for me is my volunteer gig at Habitat for Humanity is shut down. Still go back and forth to the boat to self isolate....
It would be nice not to have to think about the virus every time you want to go do something different though.....

·
Master Mariner
8,253 Posts
For us it is mainly about sitting still instead of sailing the Grenadines with charter guests. We really enjoyed the 80 miles or more we got to sail most weeks, making new friends and learning about their lives, while we show them ours.

Other than shopping for the charters, when we're not on charter our life was much as it is now as we are pretty happy to sit on the boat, doing chores and imagining all the spiders, roaches, ants and skeeters that folks in houses ashore have to deal with. lol

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
No change for me in my daily routine since I've been in retirement mode for a few years. The lock down has prevented me from doing checks on the boat in the boatyard. But, with the marinas now open the next nice day I'll drive down and charge the batteries and maybe do a little work. I would usually stop at a local Chinese restaurant for lunch on the way back from the boatyard but, they have been closed for over a month now. On a real positive note. The quarantine has got me finally getting around to making a Sail Pack sail cover for the boat. Made a mini sail loft type table in the Den with my Sailrite sewing machine and should finally start sewing things together starting tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
We've been in quarantine since February because of wife's medical procedure and now mine. She had a stem cell transplant which required destroying her immune system right down to childhood vaccinations. I'm diabetic and made the mistake of going to a new Endocrinologist for my long time Diabetes. She wanted a whole bunch of tests as a new patient which included a chest X-ray. That turned up damage to my right lung. So basically if either of us catches the virus, we're both dead. That is with both of us currently in great physical condition. I have no symptoms from the damage to my lung and no health issues with the diabetes which I've had for more than 30 years. My wife has almost fully recovered from the stem cell transplant.

In short, if it wasn't for the damned flu we would be living a normal life. So we are imprisoned in our small condo in CA waiting for the virus either to disappear or the rest of you to reach herd immunity. We take a daily 2 mile walk wearing masks, walking out in the streets to avoid other walkers on the side walks, and swearing under our breath at most of people we meet who aren't wearing masks. Other than that we don't leave the condo. Our son and daughter in law and a young neighbor do our shopping. We had tickets to return to our home in Kona, where we haven't been since August, tomorrow but of course that isn't happening. Even if we chose to risk heading home, getting there would be a problem as direct flights have been cancelled. Being there would be a problem in any case as a neighbor's daughter came home from College with the virus. Of course they are all in quarantine and haven't heard if she spread the infection. At least here in Carlsbad no one we know or have came anywhere near who has gotten the virus. So we are stuck here with no idea if we'll be back home this year or even longer or when we'll be able to emerge into a normal life.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Work at home. I usually (pre Covid-19) work from home 4 days a week unless I have an important meeting to attend or work-related travel. I really, really like this arrangement. Since the pandemic, however, we currently have mandatory work from home 5 days a week. Funny thing is, even though I love working from home, I don't like to be told I HAVE to work from home!

Grilling. I usually go through no more than two tanks of propane for outside grilling, on the deck, in the year. So far, and it's only June 1st, I have already gone through two tanks or propane! The upside is that my grilling skills are the best they have ever been.

Shaking hands. I usually shake the hand of someone when I meet them. I have stopped doing so for the time being. I put my West Wight Potter 15 up for sale last Tuesday evening and sold the boat on Friday morning. When I met the buyer and when I said good by as he towed my boat away, I had to fight the urge to shake his hand.

Travel. Except for essential shopping, we are still staying at home. This is a big change for us as I usually put quite a few miles on my truck each year, without really going anywhere!

Jim

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Ha, we arrived in Dominca on March 3, just as the crazy was getting started. We have been here since. I moved the boat once to pick up water and move closer to shore for better WiFi coverage.

We can’t leave until mid-June because my Wife is teaching an online class and needs the internet to do so. So I be got just under 2 weeks before heading back to the states.

Lots of lazy days, read a few books, reread a few more. Did some boat chores. Waaaaay to much time arguing on the internet. In short I’ve gotten lazy. And I don’t want to leave Dominca. Like it here.

I am NOT looking forward to returning to the nut house.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Have one daughter (currently pregnant) with an autoimmune disease and another with a immunoglobulin deficiency. Both are quite healthy given medical care but high risk. Makes physically seeing my various grandkids a bit challenging but we’ve figured out how to it safely.
We left the boat much earlier than usual and couldn’t sail her home due to covid so other than a variety of small boats (skiffs, canoes and kayaks) boatless. The cf sliding seat rowboat converts into a sailboat. Have used it that way but it’s a PIA and lake sailing isn’t the joy of the ocean.
Finished building our last house last year so doing landscaping and final touches (decks/shop/some infill). Tying flies, wasting time here, fishing, rowing, reading, FaceTime. Leave the property once a week or so. Lucky it’s in a park (nearly always empty due to town restrictions) so can walk around the pond whenever we want. Build bird houses, feeders get filled, nectar flowers and a feeder for hummingbirds.
Currently trying to figure out how to use Aeropost to ship some switches and lopolights to boat sitter. He bills 2 hours per visit. He spends maybe 15 minutes checking the boat. He agreed to install the stuff at no additional cost. Problem is getting stuff to him as international mail to St.Lucia is basically closed.
We’re very lucky and blessed. Although we live in a highly impacted area our house is nice and we are healthy with things to do. But I miss the boat and have concerns as to when we will ever get back to her. Fries my butt having to pay increased insurance because we had to haul in the hurricane zone for the first time ever. Also bugged that we had to pay for work we usually do ourselves. But all around me are people who’ve lost employment or who were dependent upon rental income or lost a major potion of their investment values or who’s businesses have failed. Still have family and friends who are healthcare providers. Burnt out and scared of bringing covid home. It’s weird. Some providers are going broke due to the drop in routine care and some just want to drop shifts. So I got nothing to complain about.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Boat use seems normal on CT river this weekend... Yard was still "shuttered" and required PPE be used on the premises. Only 2 in the launch... from same family.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just fully retired in Jan. Really the only thing that has changed for me is my volunteer gig at Habitat for Humanity is shut down. Still go back and forth to the boat to self isolate....
It would be nice not to have to think about the virus every time you want to go do something different though.....

Atlanta's habitat is opening up in a careful manner. Come see us!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Almost finished with sewing the new sail pack sailcover for the boat. Unfortunately, I've got some mysterious severe pain in one foot that came out of no where and has me hobbling around. I could easily hang back for a few days but, I'm thinking I still need to get to the boatyard put on the shaft zinc pain or no pain and tell the boatyard get the boat bottom painted and launched ASAP. I worry the Antifa anarchists may find boatyards suitable targets once they get done with their arson/looting in the cities. My thinking the boat is safer on the mooring these days than sitting in the boatyard.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I had mysterious foot pain for far too long. Drs. are worthless (not you Outbound.) I had gotten to the point where I could not walk a mile to my office some days. I still don’t completely understand it but I’ve got it under control. I was in pretty bad shape so what I did was a bit extreme.

For ME it’s somehow related to gout, which I can get, but not gout. I get weird pains that sometimes move around. There is no doubt but that it is some inflammation. Ibuprofen knocks the pain down and reduces the inflammation. But drinking water, sometimes a ridiculous amount, is the real solution. If I don’t drink enough it will start to creep back up on me. Increase water a lot and it will go away in a day or 2. If I drink a beer I also drink an equal amount of water. Glass of wine, and a glass of water.

Probably if no use but that’s my experience.

The GP said it was my shoes, shoe Dr. said it was my muscles, physical therapist said “You need many, many more appointments.” In the end I just pissed it out.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I had mysterious foot pain for far too long. Drs. are worthless (not you Outbound.) I had gotten to the point where I could not walk a mile to my office some days. I still don’t completely understand it but I’ve got it under control. I was in pretty bad shape so what I did was a bit extreme.

For ME it’s somehow related to gout, which I can get, but not gout. I get weird pains that sometimes move around. There is no doubt but that it is some inflammation. Ibuprofen knocks the pain down and reduces the inflammation. But drinking water, sometimes a ridiculous amount, is the real solution. If I don’t drink enough it will start to creep back up on me. Increase water a lot and it will go away in a day or 2. If I drink a beer I also drink an equal amount of water. Glass of wine, and a glass of water.

The GP said it was my shoes, shoe Dr. said it was my muscles, physical therapist said “You need many, many more appointments.” In the end I just pissed it out.
Thanks. Sounds similar. I did have a gout condition in a toe a few years ago. Took some cherry pills which seemed to help. Though this does not seem as localized. Had something similar a few months ago that just disappeared one day too. I think you might be right on the water. Might not be drinking enough these days. I have stopped drinking alcohol these days. I was never an alcoholic just lost the taste for it. So even beer is not an option. Just sucks getting old. :)

·
11,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Well I like my Dr who have been very effective. In the last two years

I had back surgery ...microdiscectomy which solved recurring back pain
And sciatica almost instantly
Complete knee replacement 6 months ago and I am on the boat with no
Pain anymore and full mobility with a bionic knee

My GP is also a top notch women who is very modern.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have medically at risk family members and two grandchildren under 4. I take seriously the potential for my exposure to the virus and secondary transmission to family members, so I have reluctantly made the decision to avoid the boat yard and not splash. I may change this extreme position in July or August depending on conditions at that time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts