SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a masthead rig. The luff on my 100% jib will only allow the sail to go to about 4' from the top of the mast if I secure the tack to the deck. i can easily add an extension to raise it 2 or 3' thereby increasing visualization under the jib for cruising. I think it will line up better with the foot of the main so that air will flow from jib past main instead of having the bulk of the air flow under the main. Would this cause excessive heal? Would it be faster or slower? How should I determine how high I should place it?

·
Master Mariner
8,391 Posts
You can easily raise the tack of your jib by putting a pendant at the tack of the sail. It shouldn't affect the sail if you can still get the sheet to line up properly. If you have a fixed sheeting point this may not work.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The hoist on the 100% jib is probably intended to be short to decrease the healing moment of a sail hoisted all the way to the masthead. There are benefits to using a pendant but might want to rig a temporary pendant and sail the boat in the strong wind conditions the sail is intended for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The hoist on the 100% jib is probably intended to be short to decrease the healing moment of a sail hoisted all the way to the masthead. There are benefits to using a pendant but might want to rig a temporary pendant and sail the boat in the strong wind conditions the sail is intended for.
Good Idea. I can play with the pendant length and see how she does. Thanks for the input.

·
Barquito
3,505 Posts
There are aerodynamic benefits to having a deck sweeping sail vs one that leaves a gap. You will get more lift and less heeling. However, for a cruising boat, there are certainly disadvantages including being able to see ahead, and having your sunbathing crew being swept off the deck in a tack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts