SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the frontstay on my "new" sailboat. It was attached like the sidestay in the picture. Is that the correct way? The odd shape suggest that maybe something else is called for.

I originally intending on using a 1/8" cable I have (the existing is 3/32") but the thimble won't fit. Would there be any harm to enlarging the hole a bit?

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Generally, stays aren't attached using thimbles as shown in the photo. There is usually a fork type end on the wire as shown below.

Rigging Only - Aircraft Type Fork 1/8 wire 3/16 pin

But with that said, I don't think that there would be a problem with opening the hole in the tang a "little". The cable diameters you're quoting aren't that big so there isn't that much load involved. But I would drill above the larger opening to retain metal toward the end of the tang. On a vessel with larger diameter wire, I wouldn't suggest modifying the tang.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I am replacing the frontstay on my "new" sailboat. It was attached like the sidestay in the picture. Is that the correct way? The odd shape suggest that maybe something else is called for.

I originally intending on using a 1/8" cable I have (the existing is 3/32") but the thimble won't fit. Would there be any harm to enlarging the hole a bit?

thanks
I would not do it that way. No easy way to remove the stay without cutting through the thimble and cable. Most people use a shackle to connect the eye to the tang on the mast.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
If we knew what kind of boat it was, someone might know what was originally there.

I'm also guessing a shackle or other removable fitting.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Schackle? At a stay? - no.

If one really wants to reuse some old wire then a toggle fork shall be used, and the bolt shall have the same diameter as the hole. Before extending the hole, think twice.
- a bolt with the same dia as the hole will distribute stress over at least the lower 180 degress of the hole, whereas a schakle will give a point stress (if now the pin is not of the same dia as the hole and so on, but that use to be difficult to find).

Agree that this looks like a smaller mast with lower stress. No reason to use wrong parts which may create problems.

BTW ... that wire. Doesn't look like a forestay.

/J

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a Petrel. A very obscure 12' aluminum boat.
It has to be the forestay; it is the only thing on the front of the mast. I "believe" the boat was made with thimbles around the tang. The boat was used for a few years and has spent 35 years in a garage. I can't believe anyone would have done it that way aftermarket when it was done otherwise when new. I had to use a grinder to remove the forestay.
I have a book that says to use a shackle and my last sailboat (an equally obscure 12' Starwing) had forks.

I don't care for the idea of enlarging the hole. Aside from possibly weakening it, it would be hard to do without risking damage to the mast, and making the loop would also be difficult. I bought some 4mm shackles that should be a pretty good fit.

I appreciate everyone's help.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
You can't look at this with a 30' or even 22' brain :)

The loads are so tiny most of the boats this size have a freestanding tube works for a mast

If you have the tool to crimp the swags as shown in you picture it should do fine

·
Registered
6 Posts
The pearson version of Philip Rhodes Petrel 12 is a catboat, He also did a sloop version for the aluminum co. of canada.I am still exploring mine and will send a couple of pix when it stops raining here

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
BTW, a sloop has a forestay, shrouds, and a backstay. No frontstays or sidestays.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts