SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aloha,

I have a 1974 Cal T4, 24', sailboat here in Hawaii. It is a real fixer upper and does not have an outboard motor. I am unsure how big or how small of an outboard I should get for this size of boat. I have a friend who has an old Johnson 50hp, with a 15" shaft. I think that the motor is too big and the shaft is too short for the boat. The boat has not been changed where the motor goes on the transom. Should I change that and put in a lift up motor mount? Please let me know what you think about this.

Mahalo

· Registered
46 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information. So if I get a used 4-6 hp outboard, long shaft if possible, that should be enough to get me in and out of the boat slip and out into Pearl Harbor? I am not planning on taking her out into blue water until I get some courses behind me and some time sailing her. What would you say the Max would be for this small of a boat?

· Registered
46 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Outboard motors

Izzy1414

No, I have not done any research on the hybrid conversion. I am going with a 4 stroke 9.9 outboard. Does anyone have any information on the Parsons or Sky outboard motors? My friend Kevin says they are a Chinese knock off of the Yamaha engine and that the parts are interchangeable. The price is quite a bit less than the Yamaha so I guess the quality is quite a bit lower than the Yamaha. There are no dealers in the state of Hawaii that I can locate on the internet, so if I buy one it will be direct from the company via the internet. If you have any information I would greatly appreciate it before I put down the cash that it will cost for a new outboard.

Mahalo
:)

· Registered
46 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Aloha,
Let me first say it has been great receiving all the advice and information on what type and size of outboard motor I should put on my Cal T/4. Thanks to all of you. I have purchased a Tohatsu 9.8hp, 2 stroke with a 20” shaft. I looked over everyone’s posting and did a lot of research online and decided that for the power vs weight a 2 stroke engine was the way to go. Yes, I know that a 4 stroke is more dependable and you don’t have to mix the oil and gas together. If I wanted something that was easy I would have purchased a power boat instead of a sailboat. The price of a 2 stroke vs a 4 stroke was also a factor but not that big a factor. I can lift the 2 stroke fairly easily in and out of the motor mount without any help and the pull start seamed easier than the 4 stroke. I guess that it will take some time before I find out if I made a good decision. Mahalo again for all of your advice.
:cool:

· Registered
46 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Why do you ask?

Well I had my brother buy it for me and ship it with the rest of my house hold goods. I am prior military and only shipped half of my house hold good here to Hawaii and stored the rest. I knew I was going to ship the rest over so I had him buy it and send it with the rest of my stuff. Why do you want to know? Is there some sort of problem with this? :confused:

· Registered
46 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I have a 9.8hp Tohatsu on my Cal T/4

My 9.8hp 2 stroke Tohatsu is working great on my Cal T/4. I think it is at the top end of the size of motors I would put on this 24' boat. It gets me in and out of Pearl Harbor with ease. My friend has a 24' McGregor that has a 4hp Yamaha 4 stroke and it also works well coming in and out of Pearl Harbor. I would think that a 5.5 would do well on the Cal 20. I would see if it is a 20" or 25" shaft because the 25" shaft will stay in the water better that the 20" if you get into any large swells. I have the 20" shaft with a lift up motor mount. I can set it down on the lowest position and do fine but my friend's has a fixed mount and his motor will come up out of the water some times.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.