SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange question really because you would think with all the planning and excitement you settle into the life style strait away.

I ask because even though we knew exactly what we were doing it still took me a year but my wife 3 years to really become accustomed to this life style. Now we both love it.

There has been more than once in the last three years we have lived aboard and cruised that we thought about giving it all up. My wife particularly found she missed friends family and her job.

Of others we have spoken to it seems generally agreed it does take about three years to fully embrace the life.

As Europeans it may actually be harder for us as we left and cruised in countries they don't speak English and the cultures are so different. We were also moving on to new places every few days.

How long do you think it takes to settle into the live aboard lifestyle?

·
Administrator
7,626 Posts
About a year for a guy and three for women.
Oh! Thats what you said! So you are pretty spot on imho.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
for the wife and I - it was about 2 days...and that included a 1/4 mile walk from the boat to the bathroom.

·
Registered
141 Posts
One year to get rid of the storage shed and have everything on the boat. By the third year I was asking myself why I didn't do this 20 years ago. Loving it more each year.

·
Registered
404 Posts
After about a week aboard we didn't miss living on land or the 50 tons of stuff we left behind.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I will let you know. We have been living aboard in Portland, Maine for almost 4 years now. We do not ever recall not enjoying it. We are leaving to go cruising in May. We will have to get used to not getting up and walking to work everyday. Hopefully we can manage.;)

·
Jnoiur Mebemr
182 Posts
We both enjoyed it straight away however, it took around 6 months for me to feel fully adjusted and around a year or so for my wife. Coming from an apartment in NYC to a boat in fl was a fairly big change. Nether one of us ever wants to go back to living on land at this point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts