SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
If your boat can't hit a log or floating debris (logs, trees, etc) without being in danger of being holed and sinking, then you need to buy a new boat. The trouble with the typical "bay boat" is that many are not really sea worthy. They are constructed for typical bay weather...light, thin hulls, light rigging (masts, etc), relatively low displacement, etc, and when ocean type conditions arrive, they fall apart. We like to go out in 20-30 knot conditions in our fast, but relatively bullet proof 60's fiberglass boat, and I wouldn't let a floating log intimidate me. Check out a recent trip last Mother's Day: Varsity Sailing - YouTube

·
Registered
262 Posts
Of course, we keep a good look out to avoid hitting things. Being from New England, sailing through thick clusters of lobster pots is a learned experience. My point here is that hitting a rock at full speed, (as I did once in Marblehead cutting a corner to quickly), would buckle the structure of most bay boats. (It took a small chip out of the cast iron keel). The bottom line is, if you have a seaworthy boat, you can go out most anytime with the proper sail configuration; if you don't, then you should wait for a better day. We tend to enjoy going out in "weather". Your Islander 30 is probably particularly well suited.

Moe

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hello Cruiser2b, Thank you for your post. I have a lot of respect and admiration for the Arlberg 30, and I think you diminish it's heritage by calling it a "bay boat". I knew a family who lived on and sailed an Arlberg 37 to Bermuda and back years ago and have always considered your boat of a similar class and quality of mine...a 1967 Chris Craft (S&S designed) Apache 37 sloop. It is a "knock off" of Intrepid, the only boat that ever won two Americas Cups.

Anyway, have a good night...if you're ever at Hartge's in Galesville, look us up. We're on a mooring. You'd be welcome to raft up.

Moe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.