SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
The per hour rate sound dead on for motors...

I cannot imagine anything more that 2 gal and hour and that is probably with a strong headwind and seas, this is what google came up with, Outboard Fuel Consumption - World Cruising and Sailing Forums
But milage in a displacement hull is very speed sensitive, and on a planing boat it is going to be very weight sensitive. For example, my little 4hp will plane my sport boat and me at a very respectable pace, but when a second person is added - displacement mode and less than 1/3 the speed. Your boat loaded with provisions and 2 people may not plane with 9.9HP, and if it does, it will take all of it.

The consumption figure of 0.1 gph per HP is, of course, wide open.

Load her up and find out!

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Check Mr. Wuffles message for the link.

Where's that from. That sounds way too low.
But I do think it is close. I know my 18 hp would burn just less than 2 per hour and my 9.9 hps burn about 1 per hour.

By the way, the 18 hp was on a Stiletto cat. At 18 hp I got 11 knots and ~ 5.7 mpg. At ~7 hp I got 6.5 knots and 8.0 mpg. That is not a displacement hull, either.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.