SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I at last count know 14.( not counting patients at the hospital)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Zero for me too. South Carolina has less than most states. There were 404 cases in the tri county area yesterday, and increased to 411 overnight. Seems like the curve is flattening. Keeping fingers crossed.....

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,152 Posts
My wife's cousin (more like a sister), one of her former coworkers and her daughter. All in MA. and NONE of them were tested. All of them called their doctors, described the symptoms (high fever, dry cough, difficulty to catch their breath, muscle ache) and were told to stay home and self-quarantine for 14 days unless their symptoms got worse.

·
Master Mariner
8,235 Posts
No one yet. Just got a dozen+ emails from former guests in Europe and so for they are all fine. Most working from home except the member of the Berlin Symphony Orchestra. No infection among American guests either, but fewer are working.
All we can do is wish each other well, until the vaccine arrives in about 18 months.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Zero. I'm in New York and have friends in DC but, no one I know has it. Though I think I may have had it in late January. Came down with a Flu like condition after traveling. First time in decades I was that knocked out. Would like to get tested to see if I had developed some anti bodies. Contacted a research hospital doing research but, have not heard back yet. Talk is authorities are thinking of implementing testing to allow those who may have the antibodies to be able to start getting back to work as part of getting the economy working again. Keeping an eye for when that becomes available.

·
1968 Columbia 50
433 Posts
I know of four close friends who have it, one of them passed away 6 days ago from it...I am sure there are more, but aren't talking about it on FB or phone, or don't know they have it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Zero. I'm in New York and have friends in DC but, no one I know has it. Though I think I may have had it in late January. Came down with a Flu like condition after traveling. First time in decades I was that knocked out. Would like to get tested to see if I had developed some anti bodies. Contacted a research hospital doing research but, have not heard back yet. Talk is authorities are thinking of implementing testing to allow those who may have the antibodies to be able to start getting back to work as part of getting the economy working again. Keeping an eye for when that becomes available.
Similar situation here. I'm in an office full of world travelers, pretty sure it went through us before we knew it was a thing. Looking forward to widespread antibody testing.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,152 Posts
I know of four close friends who have it, one of them passed away 6 days ago from it...I am sure there are more, but aren't talking about it on FB or phone, or don't know they have it.
Before Covid-19 was declared a pandemic, there was an interview - I think on CNN - with a guy from Georgia who had contracted it and was hospitalized. The interviewee was in his hospital room, and the interview done over Skype, FactTime or FB Messenger. The guy said that his family including his granddaughter had been ostracized by the community, regardless of the fact that his children and grandchildren did not live with him, nor had been in physical contact for over 2 weeks. IIRCC, his granddaughter was told that she could not attend grade-school (this is before any schools were closed) because other parents had heard that there was "Chinese Virus" in the family and perceived that she would be a threat to their kids.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,152 Posts
My wife's cousin (more like a sister), one of her former coworkers and her daughter. All in MA. and NONE of them were tested. All of them called their doctors, described the symptoms (high fever, dry cough, difficulty to catch their breath, muscle ache) and were told to stay home and self-quarantine for 14 days unless their symptoms got worse.
During our morning walk this morning, I asked my wife how her cousin was. She told me that she's back to work. WHAT?!?!

My wife explained that her cousin was NOT told to self quarantine for 14 days: her cousin works in a bank (I knew this). She probably either picked up the virus from handling money (most probable) or working in close proximity to a client. She and her spouse get health insurance through her job, and they NEED health insurance. She has had joint surgery last year and used up most of her sick-time. Because she was not tested and not confirmed to be Covid-19 positive, she cannot take additional sick time and still hold her job. She was told by her doctor to return to work after 4 days of improvement in her symptoms.

·
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not tested is the worst....we need the tests of both kinds virus and antibodies

Course everyone with a Sniffle now or the regular flu thinks they have it. But testing is essential

Anyone seen a testing center in Walmart, CVS like was promised day 1

·
Master Mariner
8,235 Posts
I keep reading stories of people presenting symptoms but being refused testing and sent home to quarantine themselves in the US, some more than once.
Though obviously anecdotal, they are so prevalent on facebook and some forums, I have no doubt that they are true. I'm also reading of multitudes of the elderly dying in nursing homes and the like, but their deaths are not being chalked up to C-19.
The only reason I can see for this is the desire for this administration to cover up the true extent of the fatalities and confirmed cases. It has been proven that widespread free testing is the best way to minimize fatalities and control the spread of the virus, yet this is apparently not how it is being done in the US.

I really am wondering if the administration is trying to make this last long enough that the elections in November must be cancelled?

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,152 Posts
The thought that the Covid-19 Pandemic might be used as an excuse to postpone the presidential election has occurred to many, however, in order to so so it would require the approval of Congress (not likely) and the President. The reality is that in the November 3 election, voters are ACTUALLY choosing their electors. Electors choose THE President in early-mid December. For a great, but dated, explanation from 2011 see

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I keep reading stories of people presenting symptoms but being refused testing and sent home to quarantine themselves in the US, some more than once.
Though obviously anecdotal, they are so prevalent on facebook and some forums, I have no doubt that they are true. I'm also reading of multitudes of the elderly dying in nursing homes and the like, but their deaths are not being chalked up to C-19.
The only reason I can see for this is the desire for this administration to cover up the true extent of the fatalities and confirmed cases. It has been proven that widespread free testing is the best way to minimize fatalities and control the spread of the virus, yet this is apparently not how it is being done in the US.

I really am wondering if the administration is trying to make this last long enough that the elections in November must be cancelled?
In New York most people who show up at the hospitals are tested and pre screened so as to not overwhelm the hospitals. Most people who get COVID-19 recover and do not even need hospitalizations. But, that does not fit the media fear narrative so that's not often reported. I doubt there is a coverup of COVID-19 deaths. Actually the opposite is probably true. There is money in reporting COVID-19 cases for hospitals. As they say follow the money. There was a disturbing admission from Dr. Scott Jensen a Minnesota physician.

"Dr. Scott Jensen: Right now Medicare is determining that if you have a COVID-19 admission to the hospital you get $13,000. If that COVID-19 patient goes on a ventilator you get $39,000, three times as much. Nobody can tell me after 35 years in the world of medicine that sometimes those kinds of things impact on what we do."

We will see how this all shakes out after things quiet down but, there are things that certainly need to be looked at.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
In New York most people who show up at the hospitals are tested and pre screened so as to not overwhelm the hospitals. Most people who get COVID-19 recover and do not even need hospitalizations. But, that does not fit the media fear narrative so that's not often reported. I doubt there is a coverup of COVID-19 deaths. Actually the opposite is probably true. There is money in reporting COVID-19 cases for hospitals. As they say follow the money. There was a disturbing admission from Dr. Scott Jensen a Minnesota physician.

"Dr. Scott Jensen: Right now Medicare is determining that if you have a COVID-19 admission to the hospital you get $13,000. If that COVID-19 patient goes on a ventilator you get $39,000, three times as much. Nobody can tell me after 35 years in the world of medicine that sometimes those kinds of things impact on what we do."

We will see how this all shakes out after things quiet down but, there are things that certainly need to be looked at.
This sounds like Sean Hannity style rubbish... look at how many people are dying... and all the temporary morgues allover the place.

·
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I doubt with the shortage of ventilators they are using them to make money

My experience in my area is that you can get a test if 1- you can present the symptoms to your physician and 2- you are progressive showing symptoms. If you are having issues breathing seems to bug a big determiner. As you can imagine everyone who gets a sniffle wants to be tested. Everyone who leaves close to an infected person, wants to be tested. The doctor will help make an appointment to the test center. There arent enough tests yet to Test everyone, nor do the test sites need to be inundated.

I don’t believe there is a conspiracy to over/ under report the numbers. They are bad enough. The medical community is hard at work saving people as a first priority as they should be.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.

Personally, I know of 2 folks from my work, and my daughter (who lives with us) knows of 1 person from her workplace.

My mom, who lives in The Villages (Florida) knew (but not well) one person who died there. Mom (who is a widow) has been staying in her house for a couple of weeks now, only getting out for an earlier morning walk and the very infrequent grocery run. Mom has told us don't send flowers and she has told her friends don't send over any food. She said that she isn't opening the door, to anyone, until things subside!

Jim

·
Master Mariner
8,235 Posts
We are already seeing how this all shakes out. We've got nearly ½ a million confirmed cases and a thousand or so dying each day! There were countries (Japan & Korea) that got it right, so why did the US not follow suit? It's pretty obvious that whatever the US is doing is very costly in lives. In my opinion, the richest and according to some on here, the country with the best health care on the planet, has failed this test miserably!
I'm not going to argue the veracity of the numbers with you. I've personally seen countries, including the US, under report casualty figures since Vietnam. Why they do it I cannot say, but I know for a fact that they do.
As for the lack of testing, if folks aren't tested it doesn't matter whether they recover or not if they are out and about spreading the disease, until they can no longer do that, and we still don't know that point. That is why everybody should be tested and the positives separated from those not. That is how both Korea and Japan nipped this thing in the bud.
Like the Prime Minister in Grenada keeps saying, "It's not about money, it's about lives!" I wish the US had a leader who felt that way.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts