SailNet Community banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
2,437 Posts
As they say follow the money. There was a disturbing admission from Dr. Scott Jensen a Minnesota physician.

"Dr. Scott Jensen: Right now Medicare is determining that if you have a COVID-19 admission to the hospital you get $13,000. If that COVID-19 patient goes on a ventilator you get $39,000, three times as much. Nobody can tell me after 35 years in the world of medicine that sometimes those kinds of things impact on what we do."
I doubt with the shortage of ventilators they are using them to make money
I had my eyes opened in regards to money and medicine on a couple of consulting projects. Unfortunately I think you are both right. In critical areas like New York and Miami there is more need than equipment. It's heartbreaking that people who might be saved are not because of that shortage.

But in areas where the virus is not taxing the system I can see it being looked at as an "upcharge" opportunity.

The medical community is hard at work saving people as a first priority as they should be.
You can't say enough about what doctors, nurses and hospital staff are doing in those hardest hit areas. Those folks take risks daily and some have given their lives for their patients.

Reactions: mbianka

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Why don't "they" report the data related to age and sex of the deaths? Surely they must have this and they can build risk profiles I would think.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Would suggest you investigate ICU “dementia “ further. I’ll make the jump and infer you’re talking about ICU psychosis. This is a reversible encephalopathy in most cases when the underlying cause for the encephalopathy is ameliorated and resolves.
US testing per 100,000 remains dismally low compared to other 1st world countries. Still is a result of the failure of the federal government to make use of the initial month of the pandemic effectively. This is a statement of fact irrespective of political spin on both sides. I posted elsewhere on this site how this leads to underreporting of covid deaths.
Influenzas clinical course is different than SARS-2-cov19. Proximate cause of death is usually an alveolitis making the work of breathing exhausting and gas exchange impossible. Mechanical ventilation with oxygen supplementation helps but even ECMO (extra corporal membrane oxygenation) often can’t keep up so the person dies. Also there’s profound fatigue prior to the respiratory compromise and a true encephalitis, liver and kidney failure can be seen. From others I’ve been told the two clinical syndromes are fairly easy to distinguish once you’ve seen a few. Hence, given it apparently doesn’t take great clinical acumen to diagnose Covid 19 on clinical grounds alone I believe the Florida doctor who is demanding a serological conformation before reporting a covid death is doing a epidemiological disservice to us all.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Out... I don't know if that last post was meant as a response to my question. I realize that systems fail which lead to death.

Since they are reporting number of deaths from Covid19... why can't they report the age and sex of those deceased? What we see in the media are what seem to be exceptions to the norm... a young school teacher, a doctor in his prime and so on.

For a public health perspective it may make sense to make all age groups scared enough to follow the stay in place and social distancing and PPE procedures. If they announced, for example that 95% of the deaths were people over 70 it not have the impact that is needed... as carriers and those who pass it can be asymptomatic.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
A neighbor's daughter came home from college on the mainland with it. The school was closed down so she had no choice but to come back to Kona. Unfortunately she started running a fever and feeling sick the day before the flight but still got on the airplane. Parents went into quarantine. So far looks like they dodged a bullet and their daughter hasn't infected anyone else in the area. Don't know about those on the flight over. The daughter has recovered without any problems. Some helpful individual posted a sign on our road that there was a COVID-19 infected person in the area.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Why don't "they" report the data related to age and sex of the deaths? Surely they must have this and they can build risk profiles I would think.
Philadelphia health commissioner reported that they don’t have RACE reported on 80% of the deaths, but that the black incidence is increasing.

Philadelphia administration is a hot mess, always has been.

I still Personally know of no one on Philadelphia with the disease and I belong to a small religious organization there l. About 60, almost all in the at risk group.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts

·
2,437 Posts

"He seemed to be on the road to recovery, then suddenly took a turn for the worse and passed..."

I keep hearing this over and over in stories of folks who've died from the disease.

It's one of the scarier things about it.

Be safe everyone, and have a good weekend,
Jim

Reactions: mbianka

·
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
We just lost a husband and wife friend in the medical field . 8 days and they are gone forever. Tragic. I very shook up and sad.😟

·
Dirt Free
2,654 Posts
Between cruising and our recent boondocking RV trip, Sharon and I have very little direct contact with anybody. We do not know anyone who has succummed to this infection.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Four friends from my church have it. Two of them very close, enough that I have a lot of details on them.

One has recovered. He and his wife were sick in late January (no CV diagnosis), apparently recovered, then got sick again in March and tested positive. High risk age group, but he appears to have recovered well. His wife is still fighting it, and she is keeping her privacy around status.

Another very close friend has been sick for a couple of weeks. Suddenly became too weak to stand, taken immediately to hospital where he has been the last two weeks. Tested negative for COVID-19 twice, but symptoms and severity were 100% consistent with it, so was treated accordingly. He was doing OK with occasional oxygen, then in and out of ICU but no ventilator needed at the time. Two days ago oxygen dropped dramatically and had to be intubated. Simultaneous with that a third test came back positive. (Yes, 67% false negative rate!) We were worried he wouldn't make it through the night. He's now stable with good oxygen in his blood with 60-80% oxygen on the ventilator, but we're all really worried that he may not make it because his situation is just staying steady and not improving, which seems to often lead to a sudden collapse and fatality. This guy is ~60 years old and extremely fitness conscious. It has me worried for him, his family, and frankly, myself.

Fortunately, I have not had any close interaction with any of these people in the last 3 weeks.

This is really serious stuff.

·
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Four friends from my church have it. Two of them very close, enough that I have a lot of details on them.

One has recovered. He and his wife were sick in late January (no CV diagnosis), apparently recovered, then got sick again in March and tested positive. High risk age group, but he appears to have recovered well. His wife is still fighting it, and she is keeping her privacy around status.

Another very close friend has been sick for a couple of weeks. Suddenly became too weak to stand, taken immediately to hospital where he has been the last two weeks. Tested negative for COVID-19 twice, but symptoms and severity were 100% consistent with it, so was treated accordingly. He was doing OK with occasional oxygen, then in and out of ICU but no ventilator needed at the time. Two days ago oxygen dropped dramatically and had to be intubated. Simultaneous with that a third test came back positive. (Yes, 67% false negative rate!) We were worried he wouldn't make it through the night. He's now stable with good oxygen in his blood with 60-80% oxygen on the ventilator, but we're all really worried that he may not make it because his situation is just staying steady and not improving, which seems to often lead to a sudden collapse and fatality. This guy is ~60 years old and extremely fitness conscious. It has me worried for him, his family, and frankly, myself.

Fortunately, I have not had any close interaction with any of these people in the last 3 weeks.

Sorry to hear that Rick. Stay safe

·
Registered
2,504 Posts

Sorry to hear about your friend. Wonder if entering the hospital actually exposed him to the virus? Do you know what kinds of medications they are using for treatment? I'm also hearing that genetics may also be a big factor on how patients react to the virus.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I heard from my son his Mother, my ex and her new husband both had it. Mid 60’s. He was hospitalized for 2 days, she was not. Both recovered.

·
bell ringer
4,766 Posts
My wife and I at last count know 14.( not counting patients at the hospital)
I personally know - 0

Latest numbers as of today’s reporting
Deaths from coronavirus - about 21,000
Deaths from regular flu - about 130,000

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
At completion of flu season 61,200 deaths
In middle of covid 25,400 deaths and counting.
USA still leads the world in number of cases and HAVING THE HIGHEST covid death RATE of any first world country. In fact we are higher than multiple second and third world countries. Yup we’re doing catchup given the inadequate initial response.

Don ain’t over until the fat lady sings. Projections are covid will beat out any flu season for number of deaths and post infection morbidity.

BTW I always get my flu shot. Yes I got the flu 2 years ago. Just hoping the yet to be released SARS-2- covid vaccine works better

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,317 Posts
We had a close call in our household. My wife was supposed to teach a culinary class for the local junior college extension. The class was scheduled to start about the time the world was starting to shelter in place, our town had already issued severe restrictions. The program administrator had asked for an exception for this class which would be a hands-on lab. My wife had a cold that turned into Flu and she was still being pressured to keep the class schedule. Based on her symptoms she was able to get tested even though it took a few days to even get through to the public health phone line to get the test then 3 days for results which were negative. When a Dr finally called he said "you are negative, don't get it." then his tone changed, "Seriously don't get it."

I was really hoping it was positive as she was getting better and we had been sheltered in place and I would assume I was asymptomatic and immune since we had sheltered in place together without any other cautious procedures. I was hoping to be safe and be able to contribute to the community needs, food bank, etc.

Add to this drama I am possibly immunocompromised having survived a severe virus in 2015. The school does not pay our health insurance and her payment for the class was likely less than the first night in a hospital. One day I found my wife was in tears one day over fearing the danger by having to teach this class. I called the administrative office in another city, left a voicemail on his assistants line and the class was canceled within the day.

John Prine is my closest friend to have died of CV-19. When I recovered from my virus, I chose this to be my "Advanced Directive"

https://youtu.be/ZGCi5LUJRnY

41 - 60 of 80 Posts