SailNet Community banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I have a coworker who just came back to work after he and his wife spent a few weeks in quarantine recovering from a fever and cough. They were never tested, but it was very likely they had Covid.

Fortunately he works in the shop by himself, and has little contact with anybody else. It would be nice to know if he DID have it, but until they have widespread testing he is low priority since he has recovered.

Fortunately in our area we have done a good job "flattening the curve". My wife is a ICU nurse, and she says they have lots of empty beds at the moment, and new cases are declining, so it doesnt appear to be too rampant in the community as a whole. Most of the deaths so far have been connected to nursing home outbreaks.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
One of my wife's colleagues at the clinic where she works out passed away from Covid 19 a few days ago. I never met the woman. She has several children.

·
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I know 3 more. Up to 20 now

·
Dirt Free
2,654 Posts
I know two people with symptoms. Both refused testing as they were over 65.
Guess the government needs our inheritance taxes.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Why would they refuse testing? Just because you are over 65 doesnt make it a death sentence...

I think he meant the they were not permitted to be tested because of their age.

Too old or too young?

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
I know two people with symptoms. Both refused testing as they were over 65.
Guess the government needs our inheritance taxes.
I'm guessing you missed the "were" in that sentence BP: "Both WERE refused testing as they were over 65."

But if that's the case, this is the first I've heard of a jurisdiction whose testing protocol includes an age minimum or maximum. That seems rather foolish given the fact that everyone is susceptible to this disease.

The main point of the test is be able to manage the spread. It's not really needed for the patient because treatment is dictated by symptoms.

·
Dirt Free
2,654 Posts
I'm guessing you missed the "were" in that sentence BP: "Both WERE refused testing as they were over 65."

But if that's the case, this is the first I've heard of a jurisdiction whose testing protocol includes an age minimum or maximum. That seems rather foolish given the fact that everyone is susceptible to this disease.

The main point of the test is be able to manage the spread. It's not really needed for the patient because treatment is dictated by symptoms.
One of several stories on this issue.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-ontario-testing-assessment-centres-coronavirus-1.5527454

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Thanks, but this doesn't state there is an age parameter to the testing criteria (although it may be implied, or maybe not ... it's bad reporting).

As you know, Ontario is behind the eight-ball in the level of testing compared to all other provinces. We have the lowest rate of testing, and the highest number of cases. It does appear we have far greater capacity to test than is being utilized, so it is crazy not to be using it.

Ford seemed stompin' mad about this a number of days ago, and said he would increase the rate of testing. This story is from a week ago. Lets hope things have changed.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Thanks, but this doesn't state there is an age parameter to the testing criteria (although it may be implied, or maybe not ... it's bad reporting).

As you know, Ontario is behind the eight-ball in the level of testing compared to all other provinces. We have the lowest rate of testing, and the highest number of cases. It does appear we have far greater capacity to test than is being utilized, so it is crazy not to be using it.

Ford seemed stompin' mad about this a number of days ago, and said he would increase the rate of testing. This story is from a week ago. Lets hope things have changed.
A canadian company called Spartan Bioscience has just received approval to produce portable testing units that will give results in 1 hour, and they already have an upgrade pending that will reduce the time to 30 minutes. Once that technology comes online we will be in good shape.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/health-canada-approves-spartan-biosciences-portable-covid-19-test/amp

Mass testing is the key to getting a handle on this pandemic. South Korea has already proven that.

·
Dirt Free
2,654 Posts

Google this phrase .... "seniors denied covid test".
Lot of stories and a number of specifics.

·
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
That’s great

Johns Hopkins has started delivering one that results are 15 minutes and can be self administered so no need for 4 people to Don PPE for every test.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm just outside Detroit, a hotspot for this evil.

I'm not going to think too hard, it's been an 11 hour day. Let's say 20.

My other half's grandmother, a good friend (Vietnam vet, agent orange, bene's cut to about zero) & his 5 person household, and an assortment of other friends have COVID-19. Good times it is not.

Many friends are ER nurses & docs. They have dire, scary, stories.

I converted my shop to build face shields as fast as we can. So far, we have delivered about 1200 to local health facilities, all free. We are paying for materials with a crowdfunding, which is tax deductible and matched 100%.

If anyone has the interest & ability to help, the campaign is here:
https://ioby.org/project/face-shields-heroes

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
That’s great

Johns Hopkins has started delivering one that results are 15 minutes and can be self administered so no need for 4 people to Don PPE for every test.
Speaking of tests. I had a long planned Doctors visit scheduled for next week. I called the office and yes they are still seeing patients. So I had to go to a Quest Lab for the Doctors requested blood tests. I walked in with no appointment. Only one other gal waiting everyone wearing masks including me. Was called within five minutes. They took my blood samples I got the results overnight. Never had them back that fast before. Now if I could only get the COVID-19 antibody test to see if that flu like condition I had in late January was the virus. I'll ask the doctor next week if he knows how I might get one.

·
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I'm just outside Detroit, a hotspot for this evil.

I'm not going to think too hard, it's been an 11 hour day. Let's say 20.

My other half's grandmother, a good friend (Vietnam vet, agent orange, bene's cut to about zero) & his 5 person household, and an assortment of other friends have COVID-19. Good times it is not.

Many friends are ER nurses & docs. They have dire, scary, stories.

I converted my shop to build face shields as fast as we can. So far, we have delivered about 1200 to local health facilities, all free. We are paying for materials with a crowdfunding, which is tax deductible and matched 100%.

If anyone has the interest & ability to help, the campaign is here:
https://ioby.org/project/face-shields-heroes
Bravo man😀

·
Super Moderator
4,197 Posts
Why did I delete the ones I deleted? Because they were getting personal. Not all of them, but the bunch I deleted were connected via quotes and in the interest of remaining impartial, I just deleted the whole bunch.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts