Votes: 3 16.7%
  • more than ten

Votes: 4 22.2%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eating out would by my definition be any foods that are prepaired by someone else requiring no cooking on the boat. Also living onboard I am using marina definitions more than four nights per week staying / sleeping on the boat.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does eating out mean a sit down restaurant, prepared food to go, prepared food from a grocery store?

Sit down: 0-1
To go from restaurant: 3-5
From grocery store: 30-60

Estimated cost sped on food per month: $600
Thanks for the breakdown however I am having trouble with the 30 to 60 prepaired meals from the store. That would appear to me that you never cook on your boat.
Or are you talking TV dinners

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Moving aboard requires a lot of adjustments. You shouldn't (my opinion) try to change your cooking and eating style at the same time as making all the other adjustments. We always do a lot of prep ahead, especially for veg and salads, whether ashore or afloat. We don't use microwave ovens much. Lots of things made from scratch. The biggest problem aboard is that there really isn't room for two people to cook at the same time unless we are using the grill.

On the other hand if you're cooking ashore revolved around a microwave I think you should work a microwave into the boat somehow.

Does eating out mean a sit down restaurant, prepared food to go, prepared food from a grocery store?

Sit down: 0-1
To go from restaurant: 3-5
From grocery store: 30-60
Wow. Golly. That's a lot of prepared food. Just wow.

We might get a side dish from the deli a couple of times each year. Three or four times a year we might get a rotisserie chicken during a Sam's Club or Costco run. Both those warehouse clubs have good pizza ready to cook that fit in the boat oven if we cut them up carefully which we might do once a year.

After a big grocery shop we'll do a lot of prep into containers, mostly Lock-n-Lock. Janet in particular is big on fresh, raw veg and fruit so we always have plenty already cut up. If you are going to cut up or chop an apple or a pepper or an onion you might as well do a number of them. Lots of veg freeze pretty well so things like a pasta salad go together with onions, peppers, perhaps olives, and other things already cut up, dressing, and pasta (or couscous or quinoa).

I'm not suggesting our way is the way. I'm just trying to wrap my head around so much prepared food. I'm sure you aren't alone - otherwise there wouldn't be so much prepared food available. We wander along the deli cases and look at many of the offerings and decide to go home and make "something like that."

Now I'm hungry.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
forgot a 5th choice
how many times a month do you eat out

every night!

If i had a choice... Live aboard or not

·
Aspiring to be a Mexican
543 Posts
There are 32 restaurants/ taquerias/ roadside bbq's in this quaint little Mexican fishing village of 3000. It seems that cruisers eat out a lot. Dinner at a taqueria doesn't cost much more than the ingredients would and cost much less than cooking fancy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts