SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Using multimeter, I measured just .3 volts to my glow plugs when activated. Shouldn't this be 12 volts?

Seems obvious, am I missing something?

I measured from the wire leading to the first plug (disconnected) and the other lead grounded to the engine block.

·
19,488 Posts
Is this with all glow plugs disconnected? If you're short circuiting down to 0.3 volts I'm sure you see/smell other issues. I suspect your glow plug solenoid/relay is not switching 'on'...

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,412 Posts
Disconnect the glow plugs, and test again. You should see 12 volts.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, this is with the glow plugs disconnected.

I removed the connection from the first plug, (all are connected in series) and measured from the terminal to the engine block for ground.

12 volts is what I was expecting.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing is, the voltage is exact the few times I tested by activating the glow plug button at the control panel. .3. The meter does not jump around, as I'd expect with a short or grounding issue. Makes the reading seem like it's the way it should be.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Trace the wire from the button to the solenoid .Measure voltage there. 12v? 12 v at terminal 1 and zip at the other? replace solenoid. Some solinoids need grounding?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Preserved, you have a multimeter, run it down. To avoid possible confusion, both "relay" and "solenoid" have been used here, but it's usually only one component, and a solenoid is, in fact a relay. Of course, in some applications you see both a small pilot relay and a solenoid, but probably not with this circuit.

Start by checking for 12v at the battery side of the relay. If you read 0.3 volts here, you have a blown fuse or bad connection between here and the battery. If good, with meter connected to switch side of relay and ground, push button for glow. If no 12 volts, button or connection is bad. Got 12 volts? Here a click?

Switch your meter to ohms and read across the relay coil terminals only (if it has insulated spade terminal connections, you'll have to remove the switch and ground legs). If you read open, the relay coil is shot, replace. If you get resistance, reconnect the ground side of the coil, and read across the switch side of the coil to a good ground. If open, you have a bad ground connection - repair or replace.

If you have good battery voltage at the battery side of the relay, and a good coil circuit, the problem is bad contacts inside the relay/solenoid, replace.

·
Registered
712 Posts
ME07

Check this out, make sure you don't have an old system that is in fact 2 volt plugs. Otherwise, these schematics should show you everything you need to know about glow plugs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts