SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we were at the boat show I asked Pam Wall this kind of question. She said very few. She's very pro-women sailing and has helped many with buying and servicing their boats. But she told us few are the primary owners.

I was just wondering how many women here are the primary owners of their boat?

BTW, I'm not yet but I'm looking.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
I've met about 15 women who owned their boats in my travels since 2006.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,152 Posts
Since the vast majority of boats in the U.S. are titled in the individual states, and not documented by the USCG, you would have to analyze the title records of all 50 states to determine the answer to your question. I doubt an analysis of documented vessels would necessarily reflect the same percentage of ownership, since they are generally larger, more expensive vessels.

·
formerly posting as eryka
1,123 Posts
I just scanned my email address book for fulltime liveaboards and found that about 2/3 are couples, the remaining 1/3 are singlehanders split about evenly between women and men. So, my totally unscientific sample says 15% are women singlehanders on big enough boats to live aboard.

Their stories are as varied as they are: one is a snowbird who moves from Annapolis to Florida with the seasons; one started the Great Loop solo, fell in love with Georgian Bay and now keeps her boat there (bought a house in Florida for winters); one has two boats(!) a dock queen near her job in downtown DC where she stays during the week, and a sailboat here in Annapolis where she plays on weekends - her idea of vacation is to fly to some exotic location like Australia or the Med and charter a bareboat; one has lived aboard many years and done some cruising, she's getting ready to head to the Carib when she retires next year; two are dock queens looking for cheap rent though they talk of cruising someday I don't see them developing the skills to make it happen; one just moved ashore due to cancer. I'm in another online group of women sailors that boasts over 250 members. So perhaps not quite as small a group as you were led to believe!

Of the couples, I know of two for sure where the woman was the primary impetus for getting the boat and is the more knowledgeable of the two. But that doesn't mean that the woman is the lead in *only* two, most of the other couples, I simply don't know the dynamic. Again, anecdotal data and likely skewed as we tend to associate with couples that are fairly egalitarian; if one partner were totally subservient to the other they probably wouldn't be in my address book. ;)

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
While I was scrounging ballast for Thane 39 years ago I found myself in competition with a woman building her 38 ft ferro sailboat. She went on to complete the vessel and cruise the coast and live aboard for many years . Too bad there is not more of this caliber of people on the waterfront. Even the men seem to have become fru fru or hand wringers.

·
12,119 Posts
If the definition is that because I am married our boat is considered community property and in any type of divorce settlement therefore it is considered split ownership, no one who is married is the primary owner of their boat.

If you bought the boat before you were married you may have somehwat of a case but not after 7 years of marrige in MD.

If there is someother definition I guess my wife owns our boat. Just as I do.

I think the answer for this question is for sole ownership.....therefore you arent married.

Dave

Dave

·
Registered
21,761 Posts
Primary owner and settlement in a divorce are two different things. If your spouse is not on the title, they are not an owner. They may be entitled to something else equivalent to half its value, if you stop getting along.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,152 Posts
This is true in Virginia, too. A spouse's potential equitable distribution rights in all marital property does not create specific title rights.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Drifting off topic into meaningless waters. My wife owns all kinds of stuff that is clearly hers and not mine.

Are you arguing that I own 50% of her bras? You are "all wet"! :)

My mother has passed on, but she without a doubt owned the sailboats in my family. She grew up on sailboats and loved them to the end. My dad supported her in every way. He was more of a fisherman than a sailor. My mom was really in charge when we were sailing. When we were out of sight of land or in fog, I had total confidence in her ability. Wish I could do it all again and pay attention to what she was trying to teach me.

"Primary ownership" (OP) is not the same as "sole ownership". Interesting that the word "ship" is in the word ownership!

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Julie,
Perhaps you could re-phrase the question;
How many women are single and own their boat, or
(not getting into the gay/partner discussion)
How many women are the sole owner of their boat regardless of partnership status etc..

I do not consider our sailboat MINE, the title says Chuck and Mary, not Chuck or Mary. The only thing I own on the boat is my assigned maintenance. When I say Mary is the Admiral I mean it in the classical sense, She tells me where to go and I help her get it there.

·
12,119 Posts
Chuckles...I like how you put it...I agree.

Lets ask the OP to clarify. Julie what were you asking when you said " how many women own their own boat?"

·
Old as Dirt!
3,483 Posts
When we were at the boat show I asked Pam Wall this kind of question. She said very few. She's very pro-women sailing and has helped many with buying and servicing their boats. But she told us few are the primary owners.

I was just wondering how many women here are the primary owners of their boat?

BTW, I'm not yet but I'm looking.

While I am married, "our" boat is clearly my wife's. We had another boat that was "mine" at the time we married but she didn't care for it all that much. (It didn't have two heads for starters, and when a woman's gotta go, she's gotta go NOW!) So, in a moment of weakness after one too many glasses of wine, I consented that if she could find a certain boat, she could buy it, assuming of course that she could not. She did, and did. I know the boat is hers as once it was relocated to Florida, she asked me when I could get "my" boat out of "our" slip so she could "park her boat" at "our" club. Needing 3 boats like a hole in the head, I finally sold my boat (we still have "her boat" and a little 12' sailing dinghy that my daughter informs me is "her boat"). When one of our lady slip neighbor's asked her how she could sit in the cockpit and read while I was working on the brightwork she responded "I'm management, he's labor". So it must be her boat, no?

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
My boat is owned by all 3 of me! "me, myself, and I" :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Like cats, I always thought boats owned you.
For years may wife called it 'Your" boat,with a distinctly disapproving tone. I was overjoyed when she began referring to the new boat as "our" boat. When she began to complain about how dirty I left her galley, well I can die happy!

Lou

·
19,489 Posts
Our dock neighbour owns her own C&C Northeast 39, she did the Pacific circuit several years ago, and now continues to cruise the boat, usually with pickup crew so she's often virtually singlehanding.

She was also the first female graduate from the Royal Military College in Ontario. Quite the gal....

1 - 20 of 409 Posts