SailNet Community banner

101 - 120 of 409 Posts

·
It's the Water and More
43 Posts
There should be a thread on what makes a great sailing marriage.

I'm the partner who really loves to sail, loves it so much I had to have a boat. My savings paid for the boat and I pay the slip fees out of my pocket. I'm the one who studies sailing magazines and books and reads navigation guides over coffee. I'm the one who figures out that our main isn't going up all the way because we aren't releasing the traveler, who is the better sailor in light winds, who doesn't panic at the helm in rough chop.

But sailing a modern cruiser also requires being able to fix engines and diagnose plumbing issues, and this is where my spouse, an engineer, shines. I don't think I would have dared get the boat without her. It's a sailing match made in heaven. I feel very lucky.

E.
No spouse nor partner. Just a cat and some day a dog or two. If I need a man to do heavy work I will get one off the docks. The rest of the time no spouse required.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
yeah i am single,own my own ketch and am out cruising it, broken down and rebuilding engine in exotic locales...lol
Cruising has long been defined as working on a boat in exotic locales.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
No spouse nor partner. Just a cat and some day a dog or two. If I need a man to do heavy work I will get one off the docks. The rest of the time no spouse required.
The only reason to have a man around is to do the heavy lifting? Why don't you just buy a chain hoist - then you wouldn't need one at all.

Pretty sad.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Was primary owner of Hobie 16, then NACRA 18 Square Meter catamaran, then F-27GS trimaran. Now am half owner of 40S Catana catamaran

What is 'pretty sad' about Me and Boo's comment? I see nothing sad in it at all

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
I guess it's one of those "If I have to explain it...." kind of things.

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,640 Posts
i have a chain hoist and a lifting thingie and a come along and all that very testosterone filled stuff used to exchanging engines in a boat, as i already did this around 3000 miles ago
man good for carry engine block on high way to machinist shop.

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
<snip>

Now, can anyone PLEASE recommend a similar way of learning about the electrickery? I have a definite mental block and scaredy-kat mentality when it comes to things that spark and go boom, or worse smolder and burn when you're not looking....

Lesley
s/v SheerJoy
Electricity is simply plumbing where electrons are the water.
Be not afraid, and get thee a copy of Nigel Calder's book "Boatowner's Mechanical & Electrical Manual".

You might also enjoy these: NEETS - Navy Electricity and Electronics Training Series

The Navy Electricity & Electronics Training Series. I learned all about 'tricity from these when I was a wee little sperm in the US Navy. :)

·
Admiral
51 Posts
Hiring testosterone is always an option... and by the same token I've been asked to run wires, install tachometers and such in those tiny places a male simply won't fit. Because I am not afraid of heights I've done quite a bit of work from a bosun's chair (actually a climbing harness because to me it feels safer/more secure) -- not because the fellow cannot, but because I like to see the world from up there and hauling me up a mast is a lot less work than someone weighing a couple hundred pounds. It's a part of the life. Some things I can do better and other stuff not so much. That's when it's nice to help and have help. That's what boat folks do for each other. :)

·
Old as Dirt!
3,485 Posts
Yep. As Andy Rooney ("60 Minutes") once observed, "Ladies, why buy a pig when all you need is a little sausage from time to time", No?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have owed my own boats the past 20+ yrs...first fishing boats and now a sailboat. Love it! I continually learn more and more! I have sailed solo quite a bit in the Chesapeake Bay. This year will try the Atlantic...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks, Bubblehead!
I will definitely look into those. I have a couple books on the electrickery,including Calder's, but my problem seems to be taking it from page to hands - on where the mental block kicks in. I don't know how to transition from theoretical to practical. kinda like someone who has read all there is about sailing, but still can't translate to getting out on the water and actually going sailing. I need some hands on guidance, and I don't just know where to get it. Any suggestions?
thanks again for the helpful link!
Lesley

·
Registered
222 Posts
There should be a thread on what makes a great sailing marriage.

I'm the partner who really loves to sail, loves it so much I had to have a boat. My savings paid for the boat and I pay the slip fees out of my pocket. I'm the one who studies sailing magazines and books and reads navigation guides over coffee. I'm the one who figures out that our main isn't going up all the way because we aren't releasing the traveler, who is the better sailor in light winds, who doesn't panic at the helm in rough chop.

But sailing a modern cruiser also requires being able to fix engines and diagnose plumbing issues, and this is where my spouse, an engineer, shines. I don't think I would have dared get the boat without her. It's a sailing match made in heaven. I feel very lucky.

E.
Releasing the main sheet not traveler.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello :)
Yup newbie here, just joined the site.
Don't have my boat yet but will next year. I got hooked on sailing with my partner when we did the winters south on the water and the summers north working. We made a great team...but a lousy couple. So he's off on his boat and I'm stuck here - for now.

Not experienced enough to be alone so I'll need a crew but can't wait to get back on the water.

And yes I'm a woman and yes I'll be the owner. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I will soon. As with my 800cc motorcycle, time on my own was the best thing for building my confidence...which is what I am excited for sailing singlehanded. Can't wait to find the perfect match to call my own and cast off for open water. Galley swain wanted :D

101 - 120 of 409 Posts