SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello one and all. Can anyone please advise how many feet of Bed it Butyl is required to re-bed one port light? I have 10 to re-bed.
My hull is 1 ½" thick and my port lights are 12"X5". I am trying to figure out how many rolls I will need to order from Main Sail?

Thanks for helping!

·
Super Moderator
6,777 Posts
Hello one and all. Can anyone please advise how many feet of Bed it Butyl is required to re-bed one port light? I have 10 to re-bed.
My hull is 1 ½" thick and my port lights are 12"X5". I am trying to figure out how many rolls I will need to order from Main Sail?

Thanks for helping!
I think I sent you an email response at 7:41 am, if you are LV. Check your spam..? You probably want 4-5 rolls depending upon any doubling or how big the gaps are..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am LV will place my order directly.
Any tips on where to get 1/2" wholesale pricing on 1/2" round neoprene gasket for a good price? I tried McMaster CArr but there soft" neoprene is way too hard. They have some soft Santoprene that they are recommending. Is that a good product for port light gaskets?

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
6,777 Posts
I am LV will place my order directly.
Any tips on where to get 1/2" wholesale pricing on 1/2" round neoprene gasket for a good price? I tried McMaster CArr but there soft" neoprene is way too hard. They have some soft Santoprene that they are recommending. Is that a good product for port light gaskets?

Thanks again!
Good luck with that. I searched a while ago then found out the manufacturers spec the durometer ratings, shape/extrusion, material and UV stabilizer package and it is really pretty proprietary, at least in the marine market when you get to specific ports etc....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just ordered 5 rolls for 10 ports plus other beddding projects. I am very excited about trying it!!!!
I hope it gets here before the Winter rains set in here in the Bay Area!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I bedded four rebuilt portlights with MaineSail's butyl tape after bedding the new plexiglass into the aluminum portlight frames with Dow 795.

Interestingly, we had a couple minor leaks in the first week and then I'm guessing the butyl tape slowly migrated into voids and then, no leaks.

I also rebedded all other deck fittings with butyl tape and with excellent weather-proofing results.

I am a believer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts