SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I have never really been able to gain much practical sailing experience, what with raising kids and surviving and all. I have always been able to do a lot of reading and studying of just about every aspect of sailing you can think of. But the big mystery, one I have not seen much information on is what the process can be like with regard to making port in foreign countries or with regard to getting through quarantine, finding an appropriate anchorage, or knowing what to expect in the way of expenses and fees. I mean is it possible that one could end up in a situation where being on the hook or tied in a slip could severely limit a visit to a particular area because of the expense? What must one do prior to undertaking a voyage? What are the liabilities when some calamity makes it necessary to stop in a port of a not so friendly nation?

I would imagine that piloting manuals might contain some of this information or at least give the location of various anchorages. Is there information out there from which to learn a few things? Who wrote the book on it?

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
noonsite.com provides a lot of entry information for ports around the world.

Jimmy Cornell's world cruising guides have been recommended to me time and again.

The biggest thing (besides ensuring a seaworthy boat) you can do prior to undertaking a voyage is to research where you want to go so that you can make sure that you have the proper documentation and entry fees.

Lots of people wrote lots of books on lots of different places and types of voyaging. If you can provide more information on what you think you might like to do, I'm sure forum members can help you fill in the blanks.

But, besides the cruising guides (and there are many) I encourage you to listen to the advice of the people who have been there and done it before you even thought of doing it. Reading is great, but having a face to face or online conversation with someone who has local knowledge is priceless. You might also make a friend.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Hi Steve , one more thing for your reading pleasure is , Latitude 38 . If you don't already know about it . It's a free magazine ,has stories about and from people all over the world . You can get it online too .

·
Master Mariner
9,220 Posts
Doyle's Cruising guides to the Windward & Leeward Islands cover any questions about that stuff. Often updated, he covers cost of clearances, hours of clearances, overtime charges, anchorages, marinas, sightseeing ashore and in the water.
There are cruising guides for almost any area you want to sail, these days, with everything you'd ever want or need to know about the area.
Not much surprise or exploring left in cruising anymore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.