SailNet Community banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
The side of the boat where you run the line is irrelevant to whether you furl clockwise or counterclockwise. You choose the direction of the furling by which side of the jib has the sacrificial UV material. The sail has to furl such that that material is on the outside of the furled sail. It is easy to make this mistake. Do not ask me how I know this.
That sure makes sense to me. but it brings a question. I had read it needs to match the way cable in the luft/forestay is wound. Are cables wound both ways and does matter at all?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'd use the largest diameter line the drum can handle - it makes it easier on your hands
I think so as well. The instruction manual says 5/32 to 3/16. Looks like some folks on here have gotten by with 5/16, but I guess it depends on the furler.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
If that were true you would only be able to furl..or unfurl...but not both
Although "bird caging" on the forestay is a semi-common problem. It's when the wire on the stay outside of the furling foil "opens" up due to the torque of the furling and unfurling. I had to replace my forestay on my old boat because of this. I had never heard of the problem, but when the yard was remounting my mast in the spring, they called me to tell me that the stay was bird caging above the foil and they recommended replacement. Wish I still had the picture they sent me...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I sail a CSY 44 cutter. I have Profurl gear on the jib. I stripped the core from apx 25 feet of double braid and that lies flat on the drum. The rest is as it comes. he first block is at 90 degree to the drum. The rest are lead back to the cockpit with spring loaded blocks mounted on the toe rail. I wear gloves when furling and I can winch it in if I have to. In light air there is no problem furling; it's when the wind picks up that the problems happen. If you blanket the jib with the main, or go into the wind and let it luff, you can get a tight furl as long as you keep pressure on the leeward sheet. I also have a Profurl unit on the mast that was an add on. That is set up and works the same way.
Ernest M Kraus
sv Magic Kingdom
CSY #123

21 - 26 of 26 Posts