SailNet Community banner

How much longer (or shorter) will your next boat be?

• 10 or more feet longer

Votes: 49 16.6%
  • 7 to 9 feet longer

Votes: 56 19.0%
  • 4 to 6 feet longer

Votes: 72 24.4%
  • 1 to 3 feet longer

Votes: 19 6.4%
  • same length *or* I'm perfectly happy with what I have

Votes: 71 24.1%
  • 1 to 3 feet shorter

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 4 to 6 feet shorter

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • 7 to 9 feet shorter

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • 10 or more feet shorter

Votes: 10 3.4%
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems we all want a bigger boat. Is this really true? Or are some of us looking to downsize? And are some of us perfectly happy with what we've got?

I propose a poll to see is bigger is really better. How many feet longer is your next boat going to be? To keep this reasonably accurate, use realistic buying plans, not a pie-in-the-sky wish list. (No Queen Marys please, unless of course, you are the Queen.)

Good luck!

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New sailnet poll at http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-com-polls/48693-how-much-longer-shorter-your-next-boat-going.html

It seems we all want a bigger boat. Is this really true? Or are some of us looking to downsize? And are some of us perfectly happy with what we've got?

I propose a poll to see if bigger is really better. How many feet longer is your next boat going to be? To keep this reasonably accurate, use realistic buying plans, not a pie-in-the-sky wish list. (No Queen Marys please, unless of course, you are the Queen.)

Good luck!

Take the poll here.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I think that it depends on where you are in life... it seems that most people go up to a larger boat and then as the kids and such no longer sail commonly with them...downsize... Many important sailing figures have settled on rather small boats as their ideal sailboat...

As I said in a previous post:

Look at what boats some very well respected sailboat designers chose. Many chose smaller boats for their personal sailing craft.

Capt. Nat Herreshoff designed for himself the 26' "Alerion III". When Capt. Nat was in his seventies and living in Florida, he sailed a 30' K/CB "Pleasure"

Joel White sailed a Bridges Point 24 named "Ellisha" after his grandaughter

Phil Rhodes sailed a wooden 25 footer named "Nixie"

Carl Alberg sailed a 26' Pearson Commander named after his wife "Alma"

Bob Perry sails a 26' Cirrus called "Perrywinkle"

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am very happy with my 32 foot. I had a 27 foot that I lived aboard but it was just a little small for me. I have room now and hopefully this is as big as I will go; unless Bill Gates decides to give me a few million dollars of his pocket change.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
At 52 years old and still fooling around J24 racing I see a Catalina 309 in the future

When the time is right in 2 or 3 years there will be enough used ones and it is about all the boat i feel the wife and i need to overnight without getting out of control with boatyard costs

And boatyard costs are buy far my biggest factor as they will exceed the boat cost in 10 years more or less due the limited amount of DIY that is allowed

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,265 Posts
We're on our last boat. The prior one was a 34 footer and we were perfectly happy with it, but it was a coastal cruiser. We debated whether to keep sailing that one and get the offshore boat later or get the offshore boat sooner and start enjoying the benefits sooner too. We're having a great time with the bigger boat, but dock fees went up, insurance, fuel costs, maintenance costs etc.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Seven feet longer please. 27 ft to 34 seems reasonable. (until I get a 34, then 42 will look like a "must have"!)

·
Siren 17
1,984 Posts
My last was a 25'. but I lived in FL and kept it on the St John with day dreams of longer cruising. Now I live out side of Dallas and want something easy to trailer. I'll rent a Cabin on the lake instead.

·
Aspiring Trailer Sailor
41 Posts
I have a 25'. It takes a while to set up and take down and is probably too big for most of the waters around here. The best would be something small for the area, then charter when I can get to bigger waters.

I just cannot get over the fact that my family fits better on a 25' boat.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have a 34' and it has worked out great for me, it's a keeper. I had a 26' before this one, but steped up in size to live aboard. I'm glad I didn't go any bigger because I solo alot and it easyer on me to handle I think then a bigger boat would be. When I started looking around I looked at boats in the 30' to 36' range.

·
Charter Captain
48 Posts
So far as climbing the size ladder, been there, done that. 44' is just right for me now (36,000 pounds, empty). At 69 I won't be looking to move up. Eventually will probably move down to a daysailer or (heaven forbid) a small power boat.
But in the meantime - 44' is just fine!

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
When I retire, we'll step up to a 52' and that's it, got a 37 right now which we love, but when the kids with friends with kids come down it's a little tight.

My wife and I are pretty comfortable sailing a 45 and I think the 52 rigged the same should be fine, plus I'll have a few more years of experience

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Definitely in the wrong forum.....maybe one of our gentle sweet and loving mods could move it to GD.....

However, for the time being, tis a breath of fresh air in this vile place where fetid winds do spread their noxious fumes......... Sadly it will end up a ruined hulk if left here to rot amidst ugly mutterings on the evils of port tack or even worse a treatise on the sad fate of those who would sail on starboard but are trapped falling away to leeward towards a rocky shore to port....:p

Current Womboat 34' OK for local and a bit of coastal but in reality a tad cramped for liveaboard. Next Womboat will be somewhere 40 to 44 and will be semi permanent (at least) liveaboard. After that I expect to end my days in something like a Folkboat but by then I'm afraid, living ashore.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Moved to general discussion as requested.

We will eventually downsize to the 30-35' range from 52' to have a boat more suitable for short term cruising with a shoal draft.
Cam, I have just the boat for you!:)

Our next will be 38-43 feet, tri-cabin arrangement. Or we'll get a second boat that our kids can skipper.

·
Leap! The net will appear
234 Posts
Great question. Oddly enough, when I first bought my boat...it was a handful for me to singlehand at 30ft....and seemed huge. Now, after racing/cruising on a friend's 40ft...I think I would like a little bigger, at some point...maybe 36 or 38. A little more room would be nice...and I like the difference in feel of a bigger boat, esp in heavier weather.

However, when I hear how much the costs (storage, mooring, rigging, sails) goes up for each foot...I'm once again happy with my 30ft girl. The plan is to keep her for 5 years, then see where I'm at...still lotsa learning to do and experience to get.

·
On the hard
3,502 Posts
I went from my first boat, a Venture 21 to my present boat, a classic wooden 38' LOA yawl. Oh Joy is a sweet old girl but leaves a bit to be desired as a long term cruiser/liveaboard due to her narrow beam and traditional design. Seeing as I'd like 10 knots of hull speed, something in the 65' range looks nice. Then again, being 52, I may not be up to the tasks required of a 65 footer in too many years.

So, after I get Bob Perry to come by and eyeball her for an interior redesign, we'll see what he comes up with. I'll just have to have a good bottle of Scotch handy for him.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts