SailNet Community banner

How much longer (or shorter) will your next boat be?

• 10 or more feet longer

Votes: 49 16.6%
  • 7 to 9 feet longer

Votes: 56 19.0%
  • 4 to 6 feet longer

Votes: 72 24.4%
  • 1 to 3 feet longer

Votes: 19 6.4%
  • same length *or* I'm perfectly happy with what I have

Votes: 71 24.1%
  • 1 to 3 feet shorter

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 4 to 6 feet shorter

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • 7 to 9 feet shorter

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • 10 or more feet shorter

Votes: 10 3.4%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Now at 44 ft, no plans to change that. We bought our present boat for cruising the South Pacific and maybe a circumnav in coming years. I can easily handle the boat alone and reckon I can do that for another 15 years.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
With 69 votes in, the results (and the comments!) are really starting to indicate something about life and sailing. For instance, the comments around the captain's age and boat size are very revealing.

(Yes, I did use "size", "69" and "revealing" in one post. Hope I don't get banned now.)

·
45.63N 122.67W
50 Posts
At the ripe ol' age of 40 (for 8 more days anyway) The 20 is fun and easy to single hand here in the ditch. Rigged for crusing, she's manageable in the tack happy Columbia. She's a little cramped for sleeping 2 adults, a 9 year old and a dog though. I've been pressured to rig her for racing by my sailing buddies, but find its just better to race OPB and use mine for cruising/camping.
I'm getting itchy to explore the San Juans and I've been considering cabin space, amenities and pre-owned price which have been pushing me to a 27 or 30 which seems just about right for the ditch and the coast.
The difficulty is that the fleet has great mooring rates, and I'll end up more than doubling the mooring on a non fleet 27-30' boat.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm getting itchy to explore the San Juans and I've been considering cabin space, amenities and pre-owned price which have been pushing me to a 27 or 30 which seems just about right for the ditch and the coast.
The difficulty is that the fleet has great mooring rates, and I'll end up more than doubling the mooring on a non fleet 27-30' boat.
If you're at McCuddys, say hi to my Cal 20 when you walk by (Aurora). My brother typically has her out every other weekend.

Take note that you can keep a 28 footer at an open boat house slip on the North Portland channel if y0u can find a space. We had our c&c 27 there for only $85 a month, with electric. Single wide slip, but cross current right in front of her.

For a low investment idea, I liked the older Cal 28 flush decks. There was a black hull one there at McCuddys for quite awhile with the mast on the deck. It was like a scaled p Cal 20.

·
45.63N 122.67W
50 Posts
If you're at McCuddys, say hi to my Cal 20 when you walk by (Aurora). My brother typically has her out every other weekend.

Take note that you can keep a 28 footer at an open boat house slip on the North Portland channel if y0u can find a space. We had our c&c 27 there for only $85 a month, with electric. Single wide slip, but cross current right in front of her.

For a low investment idea, I liked the older Cal 28 flush decks. There was a black hull one there at McCuddys for quite awhile with the mast on the deck. It was like a scaled p Cal 20.
I've seen Aurora. I do also remember that larger Cal. It reminded me that mine was a scale model of the "real" boats. :-D
Before the weather turned to Northwest rainshine, I was out at least once a week. Good tip on the NOPO channel. I hadn't thought of that. Do you recall how long it took to motor to the Columbia? That would make keeping the Cal20 for racing reasonable (if a slip were available for the 27).
How did you like the C&C? Did you take her coastal crusing? Did you notice any issues with the hull to deck joint?

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
well I am sailing an oday daysailer now....and its a nice boat but I want something I can sleep on....I think....my gf certainly does...so I am thinking maybe a t30 tartan.....got my eye on two of um...or will when I get the ten posts in....(maybe not my eye at first...but you know what I mean..)

·
Tartan 37C
501 Posts
Next boat is 5' larger.

Sou'wester 42.

The interior is just a little larger and has more storage plus room for a genset and a bit stiffer/heavier for longer bluewater voyages.

·
SouthernComfort
59 Posts
I voted for 1 to 3 feet bigger only because the models I'm saving for will be 33 to 34 in length. I am fine with my O'day 322 32' but my dream "old shoe" boat is a nice 33' Cape Dory or a 34' Pacific Seacraft Crealock. If I can find a nice condition Valiant 32 for sale this summer, I may just stay the same size.

When I first got the bug/dream I had visions of some monster center cockpit 45 footer or bigger. After actually owning a boat now and having to singlehand her most of the time, I am sold on this size of boat.

I could easily live on a 27' Norsea, Pacific Seacraft, or 27' to 28' Cape Dory. Unfortunately, the marinas around Galveston and houston will only allow livaboards with 30 footers or bigger.

I can truely see why Skip allen really liked his custom 27' "wildflower" for his journeys. It is so nice to just unhook and go without stress of manuvering a big whale of a boat.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
Since I already have a windsurfer, 14' daysailor, 19' Lightning and a 27' Tartan I find that I love you people with bigger boats who need crew. I have my hands full with my own fleet and frankly, can't afford more boat(s) then I already have at the tender young age of 50.
Thanks for the poll Bene505.

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Had a 27', now have been perfectly comfortable living on our 33 for the last 6+ years. Planning to take it cruising next year, and continue to live on it till we're too old and feeble. Then we'll become "transvesselites" and switch to a trawler, approx same size.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Looking at the results of the poll, I've worked out some statistics. I used the middle number for doing averaging. E.g., for a range of "4-6", I used 5. Since this was 1 more than the smallest number, I used 11 feet for the "10 or more feet" category. Here are the results:

Firstly, 27% of us were perfectly happy. They can buy the first round next time we are together. Or vice-vera. I don't care as long as it's soon.

Average Over All: 4.32 feet increase.

Average Downsizing: 8 feet. That was by 7% of us. My perception is that this is mostly by older sailors that want to keep sailing in spite of decreasing physical abilities. (I hope I'm similarly able, as that time is not far off for any of us.) So when we get older, we downsize decisively.

Average Increase: 7 feet 4 inches exactly. That was by 66% of us. So let's not hear anything about 2-foot-itis or 3-foot-itis. We have officially determined those phrases to be inaccurate. From now on, I'd expect all true sailnetters to use the term "7-feet-4-inch-itis". Or use "88-inch-itis".

When adult beverages are involved, or when actually out on the water, the term "7-foot-itis" is an acceptable rounded number. Giu can use "2.2 meter-itis", but somehow I think he's perfectly happy with his boat.

Regards

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
I was happy with my O'Day 322. Sailed it a lot by myself. We owned her for about 12 years.

But I'm going down to a Cape Dory 25D, which can be moved around on a trailer. I think that'll work out just fine for me, and I'll get to go to all the places around the US that I always wanted to see and sail.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm going for a much smaller open boat. I currently have a Cape Dory 25 but it requires to much work to rig and launch. Living here in the midwest I get tired of sailing the same lake all the time. Id like to explore a lot more. However I loved my Cape Dory when I was sailing out east.

41 - 60 of 109 Posts