SailNet Community banner

How much longer (or shorter) will your next boat be?

• 10 or more feet longer

Votes: 49 16.6%
  • 7 to 9 feet longer

Votes: 56 19.0%
  • 4 to 6 feet longer

Votes: 72 24.4%
  • 1 to 3 feet longer

Votes: 19 6.4%
  • same length *or* I'm perfectly happy with what I have

Votes: 71 24.1%
  • 1 to 3 feet shorter

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 4 to 6 feet shorter

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • 7 to 9 feet shorter

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • 10 or more feet shorter

Votes: 10 3.4%

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Sounds like you two should get together for a Cape Dory 25 sail. And maybe Hobohut can sell her to Selkirk.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Sounds like you want a catamaran... :) come over to the darkside... :)
Currently 30' but I like the extra space aboard a 34-36'. Larger head (with a shower) for the admiral and more stowage for things like batteries. Shallow draft next time.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Half way through the summer, we're pretty happy with our Beneteau 505.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'd like a sailable dingy for my Catalina 22, so I'll probably be dropping down to 8-10 feet for my next boat (but keep the 22 also).

I used to think I wanted a huge 45ft+ wooden sailboat (maybe I will still get one), but after seeing how much work and expense is involved to maintain a 22' fiberglass, I'm not sure I want to "upgrade" anytime soon.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well I drive a 112' at work, but I only own a 28'. I'm looking at moving up to a 37 because I want a bigger, more comfortable cockpit to contain the various girlfriends on daysails. I also want room for a real galley, cooking in your lap gets old.

·
Lost on the water...
44 Posts
We love our 31 as it has much of the room we have seen on a lot of 34 & 36 foot boats and it works for our family at the moment. While we probably don't need anything bigger I can see us getting something around the 40 mark 5-8yrs down the road.

·
ancient mariner
439 Posts
i intend on keeping my nimble 30 express. it is fine for lake superior or ocean sailing. at my age (87) i don't intend to go larger. i can single hand this one OK. i told my youngest daughter i would like to cross the atlantic again in 3 years & she said she would like to come along. the last time it was on a vagabond 42 in 1990 from spain to antigua, but there were 6 of us so watch standing was easy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm happy with my 34 footer, except for headroom, so I'll probably go up a few feet if it'll let me stand up straight (or nearly so). No reason to go bigger than that unless we move aboard.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I started on a 30ft mono, and lived on it for years. Sailed the hell out of S.F. Bay, and cruised Mexico on her. Jumped to a 46ft cat, and love it. If I could get a windfall I would have about 10 more ft. of boat built in Asia, and it would still a cat......i2f

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've heard "The greatest days in a sailor's life is the day the first boat is bought and the day it's sold." Well, I loved buying my first sailboat, a 21 foot Buccaneer and neither she nor I have worn each other out. So I haven't gotten to the second part of the quote. I am very happy and content with the sailboat I own. Now my apartment? Where I live could change: upgrade to condo, downsize, relocate?

·
Quirky
598 Posts
My "big boat" is 26' and some change. It's honestly the biggest boat I can afford to take care of so I'm happy. It's trailerable so I don't really have to hire anyone to move it or haul it out.
It's big enough and comfy enough for my better half and I to do a weekend on. I can take another couple out for a day sail if I want and we'll all still be comfortable. I'm not anywhere that I'd want to spend an entire week on unless I trailered somewhere on a rare occasion, but it'd be doable I guess with a few mods.
She's a good boat. Not too bare, not too excessive, and she's realistic for me. She's not fit for ocean crossings but I don't have any plans to do that in the near future anyway. :p

·
Registered
78 Posts
My current (first) boat is a wee lil' Oday Javelin. At 14 feet, it would be tough to go down in size.

My reasonable-dream is something bigger, but not huge, and classy and nice, like a Stone Horse. I think 23 from 14 isn't too drastic or scary a bump.

·
Registered
224 Posts
currently own a 26' trl sailor, want a 32-36' monohull that will need a mooring or slip.

a big commitment, and step up in prices.

oh, wait... I did purchase a Laser last december, but its just an EXTRA boat, not a replacement.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Two and a half years have passed since this poll was active. Where is everyone now with their "next boat" plans?

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
152 Posts
Two and a half years have passed since this poll was active. Where is everyone now with their "next boat" plans?
Unfortunately, still in the planning stage, just like it was two and a half years ago. :(:(:(

I have a daughter that is about to start college. No room in the budget.

If I could swing it though, I would like to about double in length. I currently sail a Precision 15k, a nice little trailerable I bought to learn on. I've got my eye on a couple of 28 footers, the Sabre and the Islander. Would anyone who is familiar with either of these two boats care to comment regarding the merits of one vs. the other?

·
Administrator
5,911 Posts
Next Boat

I have my eye on the Catalina 355. In five years or so when we're ready to start plans to move up, it'll be on the used boat market.

61 - 80 of 109 Posts