SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to paint the topside a of my boat this weekend, and have had several people tell me different things about thinner.

I have been told to use the full 5% and other say to use just a splash. Since that's a big range I was hoping someone could help narrow it down.

Thanks!

·
19,488 Posts
What kind of paint? Truly 'topsides' (ie. sides of the hull above WL)? or do you mean the deck (sorry, many get that confused) What method - roller? Brush? roll and tip? spray?

Ideally you would be following advice/recommendations of the paint supplier for the situation involved.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
And paint a test panel before you start.

5% is probably a maximum. Basically, get a nice smooth bit of scrap FRP with some gel coat on it and test the flow the the paint. You want just enough thinner so that the bubbles from the roller pop and it self levels, but not so much that is sags. Be patient. This depends on temperature (mostly), humidity (much less), and substrate (less) so there is no single answer.

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
As pdq said, It depends. Take notes. Prepare to do it at least twice if this is your first go. The paint you choose is where to start. What is it?

Down

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
NO FIXED % RULE WORKS!

Prop a piece of glass up so it is near vertical.

Apply paint to glass. If doing the roll and tip you need to roll and tip. See if the brush marks flow out. If not then add more thinner. If it sags you need less thinner.

Depending on manufacturer and paint used there may be a slow thinner or retarding thinner available for use when using non spray methods in hot conditions.

NB if it is a big job be prepared to add more thinner half way through.

·
Registered
830 Posts
makes me wonder if "Penetrol" would worl as it does on regular oil paint??

·
Superior Sailor
1,032 Posts
makes me wonder if "Penetrol" would worl as it does on regular oil paint??
It doesn't have a picture of a boat on the can/bottle.... so probably not recommendable. :cool:

·
Barquito
3,683 Posts
I had a lot of trouble with my paint job. I struggled with the thinner proportions. I think the biggest problem was that there was too much wind (as in any). If I ever do another paint job, I will cover the boat to the ground.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
ml, the best advice usually comes from the paint (excuse me, coatings) maker. Many other things may work but they know their product will work if you follow their instructions. That includes a temperature and humidity range ($10 gizmo from Walmart will measure both if you don't trust the weatherman) and the right solvent to use. Solvents are not all the same and unless you are certain of a substitute, your best bet is to use exactly what they tell you, either by type or brand.

The actual amount you use is determined by making small tests, since it will vary by temperature and humidity and whether you're working in direct sunlight, which adds heat as well. The more time you spend on prep, the finer the job will be. With less time on redos.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
A thread is a terrible thing to waste!

There are several threads in this forum that cover this topic in detail. As always, you will get several different opinions as you did here. But there is nothing unique about your situation, and searching before starting a new thread will give you plenty of info, and won't clutter up the site with 15 threads that cover the same topic and reinvent the wheel. After reading the thread, you can always post a question that hasn't been covered, thereby improving the thread. Please...search before you post.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts