1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to cut off a block shackle.

That's pretty hard stuff.

Probably 1/8 or so thick.

With the right attachment, can it cut anchor chain also??

The Dremel web site wasn't very specific...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
A Dremel tool with a cutting wheel cuts through s/s very nicely. I regularly cut bolts up to 1/2" or so.

Assume it will also cut anchor chain, but never tried it. A hacksaw will, however.

Bill

·
Registered
407 Posts
It will cut what you need, but watch your angle with the cutting wheel. You can expect to shatter at least 1 wheel on that shackle. Anything over 3 eighths, and I reach for the sawz-all.

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice!!

I like the Dremel as a mutitasker and household tool as opposed to the sawz-all for heavy hitting.

Regular chain is pretty soft, but the shackle is hardened.

I'll take it slow and be careful with the potential shattering.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You should have no problems using the a Dremel to cut shackles or anchor chain. I recommend using the Dremel 426 1-1/4" Fiberglass Reinforced Cut-off Wheels or the EZ456 Cutting Wheels (5).

Note: if you are using the Dremel Tool for an extended period of time, and it heats up in your hands, shut it off and let it cool down or it will be damaged.

·
Siren 17
1,984 Posts
You might try a 4 inch angle grinder as well. Will slice through it like butter.

·
Registered
660 Posts
don't forget your safety glasses with those little cut-offs, they can really explode.

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,422 Posts
Using my cordless Dremel and one of the reinforced wheels bheinz recommends I've easily cut through 1/4" SS bolts. You'd definitely want goggles of course, but I bet it has no problem with your 1/8".

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you're cutting on baord be sure that you have something heat-proof under whatever you're cutting - to catch any pieces that may fall after you cut through. Those pieces will burn into gelcoat, wood or whatever very nicely.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My Dremel (along with my shopvac) has become indispensable on my boat for jobs just like this. The fiberglass cutoff wheels will work nicely. You might want to hoover up any metal dust when you're done -- they'll leave rust spots everywhere.

·
Back to just the Jon boat
941 Posts
My dremel heats up quickly and has no torque.:mad:
Those cut off wheels shatter with regularity - maybe I have the cheapee ones??:rolleyes:
Just Glad I don't have to cut too many things off. I usually us a wrench etc. :D

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
The Dremel should have no problem with only 1/8". I used mine to cut 5/16" ss bolts and 3/8" chain. The fibreglass cut-off wheels are best. Zips through fibreglass like butter. The fibreglass cut-off wheels and the small sanding drums are my favorite attachments and I wouldn't be without it.
Brian

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Thats cool...does it work in the cordless or only the mains voltage models ?

You should have no problems using the a Dremel to cut shackles or anchor chain. I recommend using the Dremel 426 1-1/4" Fiberglass Reinforced Cut-off Wheels or the EZ456 Cutting Wheels (5).

Note: if you are using the Dremel Tool for an extended period of time, and it heats up in your hands, shut it off and let it cool down or it will be damaged.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
The Dremel "red" abrasive wheels shatter madly. The black fiberglass reinforced ones will easily do the job--just remember that if you twist or torque them, they also will break. the metal blade looks nive, never needed to try it.

But your simplest solution is probably to buy a "carbide" blade for your hack saw or coping saw, around $5 and makes very quick work of a 1/4" or more of steel shackle, even stainless. No danger of shattering and throwing a wheel into your eyes at high speed, either.

(If you use a Dremel wheel, make Real Damn Sure you use eye protection. Please!)

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,422 Posts

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The dremel tool got it right off!!

It cut the anchor chain and polished the scratch out of my watch crystal too!!

Yes, one must make that cut straight in and straight out as any variation will send the wheel flying.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I use both the Dremel and the angle grinder to cut 1/4-1/2" steel bolts flush to the nut. The Dremel is slower and you need a lighter touch, but it works with the appropriate cut-off wheel. The Makita 4 1/2" angle grinder I use because I love fireworks...it's almost too fast, really.

·
Don Radcliffe
398 Posts
The Dremel tends not to heat things up as much as the angle grinder--learned the hard way when the cut off traveler bolt dropped onto the bunk mattress...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts