SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My anchor light is out, I bought an LED fixture to replace it. The mast is freestanding 44 ft. of carbon fiber, so there is only the one halyard to use... How much should it cost to have a rigger climb up and replace it? I don't feel comfortable doing it myself. There is a guy here that will do it for $150, but I'm a bit nervous about sending him up for liability reasons. TIA

·
Master Mariner
8,388 Posts
I've never used a second halyard as a safety line for going aloft, even at sea in heavy weather, though I do have two safety lines with climbing carabiners that I have hooked on all the time. I keep my halyards in good condition and have yet to have a bowline knot fail, so I've no fear of going aloft on one halyard. However, I do have a custom made bosun's chair that I've used since the '60s.
If liability is a worry, hire a rigger who has his own. As for price, what's it worth to to you to have a masthead anchor light? Many are using cockpit or boom hung anchor lights these days and in many ways they do the job of lighting the boat at night much better.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
A simple backup method on a free standing mast is a prusik hitch around the mast. Just keep sliding it up, keeping it lightly snug.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts