SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am here in MI and it is about 25* at the moment. Have not been out to the boat in three weeks or so. Just curious how often you visit your boat in the winter. I'm shrink wrapped and was planning on painting some interior and doing some varnish. Not sure it will be warm enough or if its even safe under shrink wrap.

·
jimbo
95 Posts
Same Here. Some people don't go for months and months. I miss mine after a week. I think this is very normal.

·
Registered
585 Posts
wouldn't you defeat the purpose of the shrink wrapping trying to get into her now..??

I do agree 25 degrees is way to cold for varnish or paint, I think most cans say something like 65 degrees...or even a tad warmer...

·
Superior Sailor
1,032 Posts
Same here...got the boat out in the back yard tucked in the barn...no shrink wrap no exposure to weather and nice fully equipped (and heated) shop right next door....

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
wouldn't you defeat the purpose of the shrink wrapping trying to get into her now..??

I do agree 25 degrees is way to cold for varnish or paint, I think most cans say something like 65 degrees...or even a tad warmer...
They normally put in at least a zipper access door so you can get in to check things out.

Seems every couple of weeks would be good. You don't want some issue to grow into something worse, like water pooling due to condensation getting high enough to do damage.

I am on our boat multiple times per week, but she's next to the house.....
I would say many don't even get to the boat that often in season, let alone durring winter lay up! :)

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
Same here...got the boat out in the back yard tucked in the barn...no shrink wrap no exposure to weather and nice fully equipped (and heated) shop right next door....
That sucks so bad!

All of us with boats outside in minus snowy weather hate you!!!!!

I still visit her about once a month. Just got to make sure the bottle of Irish has not frozen.

Rik

·
Superior Sailor
1,032 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here in VA, I usually visit monthly. In past years I've stayed in the water, but this year I have hauled. I'll still visit monthly as there are several projects I'll be doing.

·
Superior Sailor
1,032 Posts
Is that one of those Wisconsin electric buckets laying beside the trailer?
We use those to keep the cows warm in the winter...keeps the milk from freezing and turning into ice cream...(they are easier to milk that way):cool:

·
Owned by Velcro
756 Posts
To the original question.... every day ......hang on I live on her.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Boat in the water at Boston harbor. Temp in the 20 s going down to 14 Going to check tomorrow and probably twice during that week

1 - 20 of 60 Posts