SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question that I dread to ask but if anyone is willing to have a go I would be much obliged.

I am looking in the next 9 months or so to buy my first live aboard with my wife and 13 year old, but my question is how old should I buy, if the boat was a charter boat how old a boat can I buy before I am looking at some major refit cost?

If the boat is a weekender type then ........

I want a boat that doesnt cost an arm and a leg when purchased.....

Sorry for this but I am sat in my armchair reading the mags and these guys are liveaboard in 80s boats.

I guess what I am trying to ask to what year should I start looking for my 37 -45 footer that doesnt need anything major for a few years....

Thanks

Now hiding in a corner, ready for the flame thowers.

Thanks

Dave

·
Splashed
572 Posts
Dave,
A charter boat will always require some refitting. An older boat may, or may not, have been maintained well and upgraded at regular intervals.
Not a clear answer, but I think the best answer is "it depends" and you should go looking for yourself, even on oldish boats. E.g. a HR "Rasmus" 35 could be a great liveaboard for three, depending on your requirements (it does not sail too well imho, but still decently).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how old

JV thanks

Trouble is I live a long way from the sea, I am planning on buying in Greece, Turkey or Croatia so I am sifting the boats on Internet sites before I go to look and trying to group together to keep the costs down in travelling.

Dave

·
Splashed
572 Posts
Yes, I should have realized that with Munich (München) in your screen name - not to observant of me. Take a trip North, I'd be glad to help you looking at boats in Nordrhein Westphalen or Denmark. Just bring some good beer ;) SailingDog has started a boat inspection trip tips thread here, you should read that.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/48177-boat-inspection-trip-tips.html

JV thanks

Trouble is I live a long way from the sea, I am planning on buying in Greece, Turkey or Croatia so I am sifting the boats on Internet sites before I go to look and trying to group together to keep the costs down in travelling.

Dave

·
Registered
404 Posts
In my opinion, if you are not looking for something very specific, once you get into boats more than 10 years old, it doesn't matter how old the boat is and what year range you should look in but more so how the boat was kept and what condition it is in. For instance when I bought my boat, I had to look through about 200 boats but the one I bought was maintained to bristol condition and had all major projects and upgrades done and was still being sold at an average to low cost because the owner had bought a new boat and needed to sell this one relatively fast. It is a 1983 and is in ten times better condition than many of the early 90's era boats I looked at. I am sure there are plenty of 1970's era boats out there as well that have been maintained the same way. So I guess my point is, unless you are looking for something very specific in boat design that requires a certain time period, age isn't as important as upkeep.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lokks very nice bút.....

JV thanks

Looks very nice but I need to look at something up to 100k.

I have been googling today and I was looking for someone North Germany who would be willing to do a Coastal Skipper and Crew course combined for me and the wife in the north but I am really struggling to find this in English.
Any Ideas ?

As I mentioned before at the moment I am on the larger side so looking for a boat where you dont have to climb over each other to go to the toilet.

Dont need two shower rooms but one I can get in.

As an example I am not keen on the Smaller Bavarias where you need to squeeze past in the Saloon where the Gangway seats are, The idea where you have a center fold down table and clear Gangway makes sense to me.

But the new Bavaria 39 looks a good layout.

Dave

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
The older the boat, the more likely you are going to see HUGE variations on condition. I bought an 80's vintage boat. Saw some you could not pay me to take. Others were in excellent condition and the price reflected it.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I'd point out that you really should reserve about 20% of your actual budget for outfitting, refitting, upgrading and repairing any boat you do buy... and that I'd also recommend you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started, as it will help you determine whether any boats you look at are even worth going forward on.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
like xort said, it really depends on each boat. I bought an '89 boat but it had lived its whole life in fresh water and was well taken care of. There were some newer boats that looked like they would sink any minute. But I also believe what somebody else said on one of these threads - it pays to look at boats that were well built in the first place. There are some builders known for good quality and if the boat was well taken care of thereafter well then you found your boat.

·
Splashed
572 Posts
Not wanting to start a Bavaria bashing here, but they're very much built at a pricepoint, and I'm pretty sure that if you liveaboard for 5 yrs it will be pretty beat-up. What I'm trying to say here is that you will probably be better of with a slightly older boat of great quality initially than a new Bavaria. The times are with you right now. You can get Contest's, Vindö's, HR's, Nordborg's, Faurby's, Malö's in that price range if you look carefully.
www.udkik.dk - Ad - Contest 35s
www.udkik.dk - Ad - Elvstrøm 42/emka 43
www.udkik.dk - Ad - Hallberg Rassy 352

A little smaller than you wanted (except the Elvström), but leaves you with money for upgrades.
Also beware that a new boat will cost you WAY more than the pricetag, some say 25-30%. The price on Bavaria's here in DK doesn't even include the transport from the yard, so some people had very interesting experiences buying these :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JV,

Nope I totally agree, I need to look at as many boats as I can in the 37-47 foot range, I need to understand the quality boats (Names), I liked the Layout of the New Bavaria 39 but then again there very nice showroom is only an hour away and it gave my wife a feeling of the size of boat, but as times are not so good I think I understand there are some good prices out there at the moment and I think the pressure on a downward trend will be around for a while.

Its my 50th today and my wife has bought me a Tom Cunliffes Complete Day Skipper & RYA Navigation, I intend to charter a large boat for a day on Starnbergersee or Ammersee with a Skipper so the wife and boy can get a feel for my dream, at the moment its all in my head.

Thanks

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts