SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to buy a windlass and wondering how one windlass can retrieve two anchors that have been deployed? I occasionally set a second anchor and have been retrieving both by hand-I was considering a vertical unit, but got to wondering how I'd retrieve a second if the chain from the first is already engaged in the windlass. How is it done?

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,036 Posts
The few times I deploy a second anchor, I just pull it up by hand. Doesn't seem worth the effort (in my setup) to put it on the windlass.

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
Where there is a will, there is a way.

Bring the first anchor up and either pin it in the roller or get it on deck and pull the chain off the windlass. Either wrap the new chain, or better yet, use rode for the second anchor and the barrel on the windlass to pull it in.

Not sure I can help you with where you would put chain from a second anchor, which is why I'm thinking rode would be easier to deal with. You really can't pile chain from separate anchors on top of each other in the same chain locker.

Why two anchors in the first place?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Although the primary is typically heavy (35# for a 32' boat) with chain, typically the secondary is quite light (Fortress) with only a little chain.

With your boat there will be no need to recover the secondary with a windlass. In fact, you may not store it at the bow (I keep my secondary in a stern locker, which is quite common, since that is where it is generally deployed from, even if the rode is to be secured to the bow).

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Err I have two 60 lb CQRs both on 200 ft of 3/8th chain. They are permanently mounted on a dual bow roller with a split chain locker. I have a single Lofrans Tigres [ top bit of kit ]

In shallow water and calm conditions I can JUST retrieve an anchor by hand.

If I have two deployed which is a very rare occurrence, I retrieve one normally, disconnect the anchor on that one and leave it dangling, manually swap the retrieved chain into the empty side, reattach the dangling anchor, swap the second anchor chain onto the gypsy and retrieve it. The disadvantage is that you finish up with the chain swapped over and in my case my second one is at the end of it's life.

Some one recommended tandem anchoring in another thread and while I have never done it in theory this should work to retrieve it using my set up. Attach a line to the outer anchor and zip tie it along the chain past the inner anchor. It should come at least 10 ft past the inner. I would retrieve as normal up to the inner, cutting the zip ties, swap the line onto the rope gypsy and retrieve the outer anchor. I see no reason why this would not work.

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
Most windlasses have a gypsy and a drum or capstan (both independently operable), even the vertical ones. If you deploy two anchors, one is on the gypsy and you use the drum for the other. It is a simple matter to secure the gypsy and use the drum or Vice Versa. You can, of course, purchase windlasses with two gypsies but that starts getting expensive. Most folks w/o two gypsies use chain/rode on their second anchor, so only those few feet of chain are wrapped around the drum; the rest is line. It's a simple, quick system easily managed alone. If your boat is over about 32' you should get an electric windlass. Last week, the only cruiser I've seen in quite some time with a manual windlass, nearly lost his boat because he began to drag in a pretty good blow and it took him way too long to hand crank his anchor up.
His wife couldn't hold the boat in place while he was cranking up the anchor, so he was effectively dragging his anchor through the anchorage when it was still on the bottom, without enough scope to stick, but with plenty and enough to have caught another boat's gear. He got VERY, VERY lucky.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
One at a time.

Sometimes you need to pay out line to the second anchor while bringing up the first.

Love to anchor with 2 anchors off the bow. Just need to secure the side of the dinghy to the stern of the boat, run dinghy to get the 2 lines to unwrap. This requires lots of room. You only want to double anchor in a place that is not crowded anyway.

Put your boat in reverse and check the angle between the 2 anchor lines. If it is greater than 90 degrees, they line from one won't wrap around the other anchor.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
If two anchors are a concern, why not just oversize one next-gen style anchor on a big a$$ chain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts