SailNet Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A ships bell... A marlinspike rope work covered wheel... Brass brightwork... Manila rope fenders... A functional pin-rail or fife-rail... A teak gangway... ?

Break out the pictures !

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I'm bad with pics.
But she's so salty she'll rust your eyeballs. So salty people follow to ask about her. She's a wooden ketch with a bowsprit, sweeping sheer and bronze hardware. She'd only be saltier if she were a gaff schooner.
Yes, I'm proud.

·
19,489 Posts
We do have a ships bell (that even gets polished occasionally!) but really the only thing "salty" about our boat is the water it floats in....

·
Registered
935 Posts
So salty people follow to ask about her.
Actually back about 13 years ago I had more people commenting about my first Pilothouse, a Nimble Arctic 25, at the dock and even on the water altering course to look. Maybe not truly "salty" ..... but it Was Striking ......with a dark green hull, yellowish topsides, and tanbark sails. For the next 10 years I went "salt free" with a couple Catalinas, but now the commenters are back to compliment me on what I think is a newer but fairly salty version of the 40 year old run of the original 33 ..... my current pride and joy.....

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
We have wood spars, teak blocks, wooden helms wheel, bowsprit, carvings both bow and stern, bronze deck hardware, ports, bell and rope wrapped pedestal guard

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I have a hanging oil lamp, a gimballed bulkhead oil lamp, a brass clock, a brass bell, a brass barometer, black cherry trim, two sextants and a collapsing telescope my son uses to read off buoy numbers.

But that's "inside" stuff. I hate wood on the outside of boats, unless it's not my boat, if you follow. The pilothouse is getting a tech redo, and the wood and brass helm wheel is attached to hydraulics and electronics. So while the boat looks traditional, it's more like a modern fishing trawler with a lot of navigational gadgets aboard. I keep the "y'arrr...she be like me old sea chest" stuff confined to the saloon.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
hehehe.....oops, I'll fix that

·
Registered
247 Posts
hank on jib......how's that for old salt??!!

·
Swab
825 Posts
About as salty as a plastic boat can be:

salty brass lamp, barometer and thermometer

salty hank on jibs with wood-block tack downhaul and wormed, parceled and served rope lifelines

Tiller and MOB strobe holder with fancy rope work

french hitching and turk's heads on hand rails

salty varnished boathook with fancy ropework grip and bronze tip

And, finally, Matthew Walker holding up the dinette table.

I am working on a spruce whisker pole with bronze tips and a wooden boom :cool:

Latest videos

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Vega—

I wouldn't wrap the stainless steel cockpit railings that way... it is more likely to corrode than if left unwrapped.

·
Swab
825 Posts
Vega—

I wouldn't wrap the stainless steel cockpit railings that way... it is more likely to corrode than if left unwrapped.

I'm willing to put up with periodically removing and re-wrapping the rails for the added safety feature. I feel much more secure going forward to change a headsail with a firm grip on those rails as I leave the cockpit.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I can understand that... just wanted to make sure you were aware of the down side to it... ;)
I'm willing to put up with periodically removing and re-wrapping the rails for the added safety feature. I feel much more secure going forward to change a headsail with a firm grip on those rails as I leave the cockpit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts