SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years our departure date for our big, multi-year trip has been "two kids, both out of diapers." Our plan remains the same, and what's changed is that kiddo number 2 has now arrived!

Horray! New crew!

So I now have 2 boys, and we have no plans to make or aquire any more. So, if I were to know how soon they'd both be out of diapers, I'll know our departure date for our big trip. My oldest boy is 2 years old and doesn't show any real interest in potty training. I also understand that boys still wet the bed for several years after giving up daytime diapers. That's okay with us, we'll still untie the lines with bed peeers. ;)

Any thoughts, predictions, or tips from the more seasoned?

MedSailor

·
Registered
830 Posts
Congrats on the "new crew" !
Ain't it grand? :D

All four of mine were potty-wise by about age three. My son was ready to leave diapers behind at 3 plus a.month or so, and never went back.

I had the thre eldest out in the sailing dink at 5 , threeand a half and near three(age approx.. as we had three within thirty months!). no one pee'd. themselves! ;) Other than the logistics of diapers aboard; I see no problems. :D

Go F'rit

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
For years our departure date for our big, multi-year trip has been "two kids, both out of diapers." Our plan remains the same, and what's changed is that kiddo number 2 has now arrived!

Horray! New crew!

So I now have 2 boys, and we have no plans to make or aquire any more. So, if I were to know how soon they'd both be out of diapers, I'll know our departure date for our big trip. My oldest boy is 2 years old and doesn't show any real interest in potty training. I also understand that boys still wet the bed for several years after giving up daytime diapers. That's okay with us, we'll still untie the lines with bed peeers. ;)

Any thoughts, predictions, or tips from the more seasoned?

MedSailor
Congrats on the new addition, wonderful news...

I'm far from seasoned, buI suspect Charlotte of REBEL HEART probably has it about right, that it's silly to go cruising offshore with kids younger than about 3... Of course, she probably should have heeded her own advice... :)

Perhaps it's just me, but I'd probably be forever a bit miffed at my parents, if we had sailed to a place like the South Pacific when I was still too young to have any real memory of it...

:)

·
Registered
965 Posts
We found them easy on the boat even as babies but once they start getting around on two feet, there's no better place for you all to be than on your own boat. They flourish on the water.

You'll miss a lot of that if you wait for diapers to go away. :)

Congratulations, beautiful baby boy.

·
Registered
213 Posts
As a grandfather - 3 kids of my own and 5 grandsons - I predict all will be well not later than the 3rd birthday, possibly as early a 2 1/4 for some, but be "conservative" and leave room for an early departure.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A BFS onsie? That would be cool!

Thanks for the advice so far. The diaper timeline is the one we've had for years bit there are several factors that we're looking for that all seem to converge at the same time.

Basically we want them to remember the trip and be old enough to swim really well and have some self preservation instinct.

Our oldest is 2 and we do plan to sail with him but for long term sailing we'd like them both to be past the "terrible twos".

Of course as we gain more real experience actually sailing with the little critters we may move the time line closer.... not likely we'll move it much farther out though. Daddy doesn't want to wait forever!

·
<insert sarcasm here>
49 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate a bit, both my kids (boy and girl) showed ZERO interest in potty training until they were nearly 4 years old. If the kid is at all receptive you can nudge them along, but if they are not at all receptive (exactly my case) there is nothing you can do until they decide they are ready.

Trust me we attempted all the "tried-and-true" methods, positive reinforcement, any gimmick you can think of, and they weren't having it. Sent them to grandma's for a couple weeks each time because grandma was certain she could get them taken care of. Each time they were sent back without success. Then about the 3.5 to 3.8 year old stage they both decided to take an interest and it was no big deal all of a sudden.

I guess what I'm trying to say is make your plans and hopefully it works, but that's no guarantee as it's all up to the individual kid.

And as a side note, no way I'd go cruising with a kid in diapers. Sure you could, but it's SO much less hassle if they can go to the bathroom on their own.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts