SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to go into an area (Desolation Sound, British Columbia) that apparently often requires a "stern-tie" anchoring setup. This is used in very narrow anchorages that do not have room to swing. The idea is you have normal anchor out but then a line strung from the boat's stern to something on shore (tree, rock, whatever) to prevent swinging.

I've never done this before. And everything I've read explaining it involves 2 people, one staying on-board to keep the boat in position and another going ashore to run the line. Well I'm solo this trip, and I can't figure out a way to do this by myself. Hoping somebody with experience can give advice or tell me to just not go places where this is required. Thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am back now from Desolation sound area (went a bit further too), and all went well. Did a fair amount of stern-tying, and followed the advice here ... made sure to take my time and it was not too hard although a lot of scrambling when single-handed. The main thing was just to pay attention to the wind/current -- I dropped the anchor so that the boat would naturally drift where I wanted it to be, the conditions held the boat where I wanted temporarily while I got the stern line secured.

Overall I'm not a big fan of the stern-tie. Several times after I got the whole thing setup the wind and/or current shifted so that they hit the boat on the beam, and this seemed to put a lot of strain on the anchor.

Held fine though. Biggest threat may have been that a bear sniffed and then played with my stern line one afternoon, funny little guy but I'm sure if he wanted to he could have severed the line!

1 - 2 of 13 Posts