SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished installation of my solar panel. Now I need to route the cable down the frame, then the pulpit stanchion, through the deck and to the controller.

What is the best way to attach it to the stainless steel frame and pulpit? My thought is plastic cable ties. I assume that they will degrade with UV and need to be replaced every few years, and aesthetically they are not perfect.

Are there alternatives?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
If you are not running the cable inside the pulpit tube - the best solution but hard to accomplish - I would use cable ties. It can look pretty good. Use black ties as they last longer in sunlight as they have more pigment.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are not running the cable inside the pulpit tube - the best solution but hard to accomplish - I would use cable ties. It can look pretty good. Use black ties as they last longer in sunlight as they have more pigment.
I considered running the cable in the tubing. But I am afraid the holes required to drill will weaken it which is a safety concern.

Good tip using black ties, in particular since my cable is black! Thanks.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Unless you are using marginal tubing in the first place I can't see it as a problem. If you are worried about strength you could drill it, then sleave where the hole is, but I have never thought it was necessary.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Unless you are using marginal tubing in the first place I can't see it as a problem. If you are worried about strength you could drill it, then sleave where the hole is, but I have never thought it was necessary.
I agree, a hole shouldn't weaken the pulpit. To do it neatly the pulpit should be removed to run the cable through the base into the boat. That only leaves one hole visible at the top. A bit more complicated though.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree, a hole shouldn't weaken the pulpit. To do it neatly the pulpit should be removed to run the cable through the base into the boat. That only leaves one hole visible at the top. A bit more complicated though.
I dunno. The tubing is not marginal, it is 1" SS. But the cable by itself has a diameter of 3/8" (waterproof marine cable) and I would not bet my life (which is what you do on safety equipment) on a hole of this size not weakening the structure. In fact, for a proper installation you would not just drill an hole and shove the cable through but use a proper grommet. So we are talking losing AT LEAST a half inch of the 1" tubing.

Yes, I could put a sheathing around it to get back most of the original strength, but come on, all of this for a solar charging cable? Not even talking about the hassle of taking off the pulpit.

No way!

So, we are to black cable ties. Seems like a decent solution. Anything better?

·
Senior Moment Member
13,292 Posts
Running the wires through a hole and down inside the tubing is commonplace - I've never heard of a pulpit breaking there.

If you attach it to the outside with tie-wraps you must consider the UV degradation of the wire insulation as well, not just the tie-wraps.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Running the wires through a hole and down inside the tubing is commonplace - I've never heard of a pulpit breaking there.

If you attach it to the outside with tie-wraps you must consider the UV degradation of the wire insulation as well, not just the tie-wraps.
Understood.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I use cable ties - but - you should use a bit of rubber gromet or other chafe gear of your choice and make sure you cut the tail off and position that tail outboard so it doesn't catch and bite ankles and thighs.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use cable ties - but - you should use a bit of rubber gromet or other chafe gear of your choice and make sure you cut the tail off and position that tail outboard so it doesn't catch and bite ankles and thighs.
Yes, I thought about that. Would wrapping electrician's tape around the cable ties be a good idea? Might also help with UV degradation. Or would that

(a) look shabby real quick

and/or

(b) trap water and lead to corrosion on the stainless steel?

Or

(c) am I seriously overthinking this? :)

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
serioulsy overthinking...jeje you can also use twine...and wrap it around in places so it looks more seamanlike...or something I like to have is monel wire...

·
Senior Moment Member
13,292 Posts
Yes, I thought about that. Would wrapping electrician's tape around the cable ties be a good idea? Might also help with UV degradation. Or would that

(a) look shabby real quick

and/or

(b) trap water and lead to corrosion on the stainless steel?

Or

(c) am I seriously overthinking this? :)
Yes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts