SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
213 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I need to do some maintenance work on my topsides. It would be most beneficial to have some sort of floating platform to work from which I could stand or kneel on. I've used my dink in the past, but ended up getting everything from Cetol to fiberglass all over it. I would like to build something, but get it right the first time. I weigh about 200lbs. Can anyone give me recommendations on the dimensions, flotation requirements, materials, etc? Would I use inner tubes, styrofoam, plastic containers? I want it to be fairly stable (even when standing near the edge), and obviously not sink with me standing on it.

Thanks,

John

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
I knew a guy in Oriental, NC that built a platform... he would get jobs to paint boats down to the waterline... said it worked perfectly...

His boat was "Pocket Change" and his dinghy was "another nickle"

· Telstar 28
43,281 Posts
Reaction score
It should be relatively easy to do, as there are plenty of kits for making a floating dock...and that's essentially what you need.

I would make the piece 4' x 8' and use the dock floatation you can find at most marine retailers... that way you can use a single sheet of plywood for the deck. I would avoid a work surface deck made of individual boards, like most docks, as the single sheet of plywood can have a toerail around the edge and will not allow small parts, waste, paint, etc. to fall through as easily and pollute the water. Serious fines for that now a days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.