SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there all,

I bought a C&C Mega 30 a few years back, and it was missing the top cover into the cabin.

CC Top cover.jpg

I have been using a very not amazing plywood cover that tied down with line. Not the best solution. I was hoping to either buy a new one, or figure out how to make a mould and create one out of fiberglass. I do worry about strength with the make-it-my-self solution. Anyone out there have any advice?

Thanks.

Sam

·
19,489 Posts
Lots of options here.

I see that 'half' the original pin hinges are still there. The other half disappeared with the hatch, presumably. Molding a replacement might be a bit tricky, but doable with the right skills, tools and supplies. It's a pretty tricky 'first project' in fiberglass work.

Since it was never intended to have a sliding hatch, I'd say you're stuck with the 'removable hinge' concept. I think my first attempt would be to get some 1/2" acrylic cut to size (with a good overlap) and then apply some gasketing to it so it might seal onto the shoulders of the companionway passage. Find matching, or replacement "lift-off" hinges.. plenty available if you can't find an exact match that would allow you to continue to use the old halves.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=lift...X&ved=0ahUKEwjajZbehaTNAhUQ5GMKHQtfBx8QsAQIKA

If you latched your companionway drop board in place with barrel bolts, and then connected your new 'lid' to that with a hasp it would be fairly secure.

Reactions: SamSMcLaughlin

·
HANUMAN
2,838 Posts
Go to the Cncphotoalbum.com and join the C&C email list. Ask there, maybe someone can send you measurements and photos of the original.

If it was me, I would fabricate something out of hardwood and varnish it.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Ask nicely and someone with a sister ship might make a splash mold for you. Send 'em enough $ to cover the cloth an resin.
There are books (no batteries needed...) and likely UTube sites with guidance on producing your own hatch lid.

Loren

ps: IIRC the editor of GOB has a sister ship. This could then become a project article for the magazine.
pps: unless you are in witness protection, fill in your bio here about where you sail.

Reactions: ordkhntr

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I always love how quickly a specialized community forum can get an answer (or three) to you. Thank you very much. I'll respond back to let you know how it goes. The acrylic idea had crossed my mind. I had also had the thought of getting a heat gun and trying to slump a piece over the opening to get a better fit. And the measurements and splash mold ideas are great, too. Thanks.

I'll update my profile with the location: Lake of the Woods, Kenora.

EDIT: I emailed Karen at GOB. I'll let you know what she says.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a C&C Mega 30, with the cover.

It's not a flat piece, and would probably be difficult to replace well with anything flat, the original part is curved in about every direction. You could get it something like that to work with a bit of effort, other than appearances I'm not sure of the downside. I generally pull mine off and stow it before sailing, under way, the way it flips up and almost stays up while you get in and out is kinda asking to get hit in the head with it, and with it there, closed, it flips up easy enough that I'd be concerned about people leaning on it handling the jib sheets (and ending up falling into the cabin..).

But I'm sure if I was missing mine, I'd want to replace it, even with the complaints I have with it.

There is a yahoo group called mega30sailors, it is a restricted group and requires joining, and is pretty slow. But every couple months someone posts selling off a boat or parts.

Or, I might be willing to make a mold, if someone could explain how to do it quick and cheap enough. I've done some fiberglass work before, but never anything quite like that. And making a mold, especially for one time use, using glass and epoxy would be kinda expensive to make and ship. I don't know what else something like that could be made of. (and if you had a port side rear seat, the part that goes over the engine, I'd certainly be interested in a "trading" of molds if such a thing is practical).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts