SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A long time ago, I decided I wanted to retire early and go cruising. So, I put in a plan. We moved down to Fort Lauderdale. We bought a house with a canal. We bought a boat! Things were lining up nicely till this malaise came over me.

I've been in the working world since 2001. It seems like every year is a recession. My plans for a marginal 3% annual merit increase in come aren't eve holding up. They chopped 401k matches now too. I guess I should be "lucky" to have a job, but it seems like prior generations never had to be thankful to have a job in America. All the spreadsheets keep pushing back my date of retirement. First 45...then 47, 48....the latest update this month. 50. *ugh

After 9 years in corporate America and more 70 hour work weeks than I can remember, my body is breaking down. I feel it slowing down, taking longer to recover from the small day to day injuries. Its tough to roll out of bed without creaks aches and groans. I'm 29 now...and at the rate I'm going, I dont know if I'll make 50...or my cruising dream. One illness which my medical plan at work will only partially cover (yet another cutback) and I can kiss cruising plans good-bye.

So, to all you old timers still slogging it out in the daily grind. How do you keep going? I've gotten about 1/3 of my working career knocked down...how do you keep the energy and stamina to keep working towards retirement in today's corporate America? It seems like things have changed from my parents era...my generation will be the first of the ones that doesn't have as good a life as our baby-boomer parents. What ever happened to "if you were willing to work hard, there was a career for you and reasonable job security to afford a good life."

·
Registered
162 Posts
Where to start...

You sound like a guy I work with: he's 50something, has a huge (to me) 401k and mulitple real estate properties. He has enough money to retire and support himself and and my wife and I as well for the rest of our lives. Sailboat habit and all. He whines incessantly about how he wishes he could retire. I wish he would.

I was 30 years old before I could go to college and have been working hard all my life. I learned not to whine about hard work when I was 12 years old working in crop fields. I learned when I was 18 serving aboard ship 3,000 miles from home.

My wife and I have raised 5 kids and now get to help them raise our grandkids. We were in our late 30's before we could afford to buy a home. I'm 54 and just got my first sailboat. Not my dream boat, but a start. I learned at an early age that hard work was going to be required of me if I wanted anything in life.

Whenever I feel like whining I remember how lucky I am to have a good job. My feet are killing me, my back aches and I'm tired all the time. I lost 18% of my 401k in the past year but hundreds of my coworkers are unemployed. I get to sail as much as I can stand and love it when I'm out with fellow sailors instead of at work listening to whiners.

·
Registered
93 Posts
this is a v shaped recession, we are recovering
sell your stuff , pay off your debt
live within your means, debt free
sail in a boat thats paid for
I could pay a premium to live on the ocean but why ;
if I am going to be sailing i'll be enjoying the ocean so i don't need to live there too ?

work less and enjoy life in the present

back when i bought my first house , one income , wife, two kids interest rate 18 %.
I took up refereeing hockey as a hobby and exercise and second income . I did that for 10 years , earned 40,000 cash and that paid off my simple home.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Its hard to feel sorry for you fella. Yes your at the old age of 29 :rolleyes: and good for you your working hard. But you and 99% of the rest of us must work to achieve our dreams. You have a plan which is better than about 80% of people. The nice thing is that you plan includes an obtainable goal. The only modifier is that sometimes Life gets in the way. That puts you back into the large majority of the "rest of us" I'm 42, don't know when I'll retire, maybe 60-65. I work 36 hours a week, sometimes more. I love doing what I do. But I love working for my time off. I see very little point to busting my butt for 30 yrs working 70 hours a week and scarcely taking time to enjoy life. Mr. you need to live your life NOW. Like another poster said get a simple life, boat thats paid for and do what you like now. Imagine after you "retire" you or your loved one(s) (i know you never mentioned family but I'm playing the odds) have a catastrophic illness that requires a prolonged hospital stay. Now how are your finances. Many things can make a rich man a poor man, but a poor man feels rich with only a few things.
Good luck with your goals.

·
SailGunner
57 Posts
Grow up. We don't need 29 year-old guys crying about they can't retire. Go someplace else if you want sympathy.

·
Not Finished Yet
829 Posts
I think you need to change your plan. Here are a few ideas:

1) You already have a boat. What are you waiting for? Why wait until you are 50? Pay off the boat, sell the house, and go now.

2) It sounds like you are budgeting carefully. The income side of your plan is changing, but you are holding the cost side fixed. Attack that side of the equation. Change your assumptions about what you need to be happy. Get a smaller or older boat. Live on less money. What would make you happier, working 10 more years or retiring 10 years earlier but living more simply?

3) If you are really working 70 hour weeks, change jobs (if you are on salary). If you hate your job, change careers. Go back to school or start your own business. Most people who work 70 hours do so because they are workaholics. Workaholics should be in business for themselves. Get to know some entrepreneurs in your area, find a mentor.

4) Get some Pardey books and read them for inspiration. It will help you reduce your ideas of how much it will cost to cruise. Start with "Self-Sufficient Sailor."

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
THen again, at 48, self emplyed in construction, worst year EVER in 28 yrs, one little thing, and ALL is gone right now. At 29, you have a job yadda yadda........ enjoy life and quite bitchen! I have 1$ coming in vs $4.50 last year! and $2-3 going out for every one going in! Yesterday I tossed 7 tons of concrete block around. If you're some desk pusher complaining.......oh well. "life's a beach, then you die" so enjoy what you got! There is no guarentee.

My dad whom has a million in 2 retirement accounts, can only pull $750 amonth vs the planned on $3200 right now due to the corp screw ps, and the government putting limits as to how much one can pull out of some IRA's etc. At the rate he can pull out, even my unborn great and double great grand kids will never spend all the money. I know of a couple others in the same boat. Money, but no way to spend it! as they can not get to it!

Marty

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
If you view your JOB as Drudgery, then you are in the wrong job.
In all the years that I have been making a living I have worked very few of those years... Mostly I have enjoyed my work... thus making it a form of play.

Find something you enjoy doing and make a living at it...

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
415 Posts
I'm 49, unemployed since February, have no pension and lost 60% of my 401(k) investment in the market slump. But I'm keeping the sailboat, dammit.

There is no best time to leave. If you can . . . do. Work as you go to refill the pantry. If you don't put expensive crap on a boat you won't have to worry about it breaking or failing. If you wait for the perfect time you'll never go. Hell, you already live where I'd love to cruise to! Want to trade with Upstate New York and our six month sailing season?

Wait a few years and you can add cancer, macular degeneration, loss of friends and family, chronic illness, arthritus and maintenance drugs. No where on your birth certificate does it say you are entitled to ANYTHING. We live by tooth and claw and you get what you fight for and can kill. That's life. House fly to pharaoh - same deal. Buck-up little buckeroo. You can't (obviously) imagine what some other people in the world deal with every day. Maybe you should spend a year in the Peace Corps in some third-world cesspool and you'd feel better about life? Maybe.

Quit whining and get sailing.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
At 53 and stuck hearing spanglish the rest of my endless working life i just try and enjoy the good parts of my job and go sailing a LOT

Last night i went out and drilled out to old holes that were leaking ,dug out the wet wood and filled them with epxoy and then put on the wet suit and cleaned the bottom

It was a perfect night to be on the water and i went home STRESS FREE and had a great nights sleep

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dude

You need a Therapist NOT drugs,

a good therapist and 3 hours of your time could do more for you than all the prozac in the world could do for you.

really dont take this as an insult just spend 3 hours with a qualified expereinced therapist its the best $600 you'll ever spend.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
I'm 27 and will work until I die. I've accepted it, and it sucks, my kids will have the same fate. Unless I die at work, and then maybe they can have a good start from my life insurance policy. :) I knew there was silver lining somewhere. I even tried to be smart and buy a condo as an investment, boy that worked out great. All of a sudden, my 3-5 yr plan turned into 10, if I'm lucky.

Even if at one point you could've retired at 45, I'm extremely jealous. Every financial analist that I've talked to (since I was 20), say I'll never retire unless I double my income. Oh is that all?! I'll just ask for a raise! HTFU

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
A long time ago, I decided I wanted to retire early and go cruising.
Sometimes life just doesn't work out like we plan. Life's like that.

After 9 years in corporate America and more 70 hour work weeks than I can remember,
Wow... Nine years!!! And 70 hour work weeks?!?!

Wow!

I hope you sensed the sarcasm, because I sure put enough in there. How about... (counting...) 40 years of working, three of those for Uncle Sam, and up to 80 hour work weeks? Oh yeah, and at the time: No 401k plan. Maybe two weeks vacation. Most jobs I held then offered no medical insurance.

my body is breaking down. I feel it slowing down, taking longer to recover from the small day to day injuries. Its tough to roll out of bed without creaks aches and groans. I'm 29 now...and at the rate I'm going, I dont know if I'll make 50...
Wow, 29 years old and already falling apart. Start checking out nursing homes and hospice care, I guess. :rolleyes:

One illness which my medical plan at work will only partially cover (yet another cutback) and I can kiss cruising plans good-bye.
Join the crowd. Why do you think there's such a hue and cry about the state of "health care" in the U.S.? Few USAians, very few, will survive a serious illness or injury in the family without losing some or all of their savings and possessions. This is one of the reasons The Admiral and I have basically stopped saving. We're in our late 50's and figure the odds are that, before too much longer, sickness or injury is likely to get one of us, and the health care system's going to take it all, anyway, so we might as well spend it now, enjoy life while we can, and let the chips fall where they may.

So, to all you old timers ...
"Old timers" *snort* :rolleyes:

... still slogging it out in the daily grind. How do you keep going?
What are the options? Lay down and die? Nah, I think not. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

In short: You're not a kid anymore. Grow up, sonny.

Also: Get regular exercise and stop eating and drinking nutrition-less crap loaded with sugar, fat and toxins. You'll feel better, look better and probably live longer, more happily.

Jim

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
415 Posts
I see the problem. Someone believes they can have it all. That's a misconception. Happiness, health, wealth, time to do what you want. Chose any two. Three if you are exceptionally fortunate.

You can also check out The Killing Fields on DVD and see what some folks have to live through. Put yourself in Dith Prans shoes and if that doesn't spin some egocentrism off you it may be hopeless.

Time for some fortune cookie advice:

The key to happiness is not to have what you want, but to want what you have.

No one can make you happy. Only you have that power.

Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Learn to live with what you've got and you won't need what you have not.

Pain makes man think. Thought makes man wise. Wisdom makes life endurable.

·
Coastal Traveler
130 Posts
Wow, are you guys listening to yourselves? Not a one of you has anything to complain about. You are either retired, or working, and you have a boat. It might or might not be paid for. You are able to sail. So what's the problem? Get a huge grip on reality, and understand that many people don't even have a job. I' have been unemployed for a couple of months and am barely getting by. So what, I keep going. I owned my own business for 13 years and seem to be overquaified for some jobs or under qualified for other jobs. I apply for jobs everyday and can't even get a job at McDonalds. I have over 40 resumes out and have had two responses in two months, with 5 interviews from those two responses, and still no job. I have a family to feed, and no income.
The boat is being used to take the stress of not being able to find a job, and I thank God that it's there. Although, I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep it. Life is tough, but you are employed, and building a cruising kitty. Yes it might take a little longer than expected, but you'll get there. Stop your complaining, work your butt off and you'll get there. If you really don't want to, then I'll change lives with you. I want to work, and sailing only a couple of days a week would be great if it means I have a job.

Dave

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to the productive responses...and to those in worse shap than I, my sympathies.

·
Aspiring to be a Mexican
543 Posts
Expectations can breed disappointment. Change your expectations. Most of the WORLD doesn't have what you have already. You can live with less, if you have less you have less to pay for, insure, clean, maintain, and worry about. You can probably do it now but you have to do it with less.
Security, for me, is a myth. I had a good job making a lot, my wife had a decent job and a good part-time business. She got hurt at work and I got layed off without any warning within 3 days of her injury.
401k- GONE! Health insurance- GONE! Security- GONE! Good credit- GONE!
Now, 3 years later I have my own successful business and I will never ever get another job. I though I had it made but I had nothing.
Now we're preparing to go cruising. I can sell my business and afford a boat. Not my dream boat but a boat that will get my family there safely. My wife's business is portable and can more than support our cruising plans. I can rent out my house or walk away from it now that it's worth 60% of what I paid. Retirement? HAH! I'm retiring in a year or two with no 401k, no mutual funds and no illusion of security.
My "plans" didn't work out at all. Not even close, but I am leaving sooner this way, just not on the boat that I planned on and without a perfect safety net.
Life is not secure, people die every day.
Quit feeling sorry for yourself, change your expectations and GO!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts