SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm helping a friend find his first boat.
He sent me a video of him walking through a boat and I found it pretty useless.

I've always taken pictures that way I can zoom in and get a shot of something specific.

This brings up a bigger question. When you are shopping you may look at several similar boats. How do you document what you have seen.

Pictures, video, notes, forms all of the above.

Do you have any helpful hints about how to keep all the detail straight?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Hello,

When I was in the market (2006) I brought a form that I made up with me. I would take lots of pics and write down the info on the form. When I got home I would upload the pics to a new folder and I would write up the form info into a document.

I also had a file with all the boats I was interested in. I recorded the date the boat was listed, the price, and the date of any price changes.

Barry

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
My friends and myself have always done are own repairs and i feel we look at boats in a completely different way than people who do not of cannot do DIY repiars

YES we like a good looking boat BUT after fixing so many warts we kind of know were to look

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
Using a 3 ring binder, I put in the Yachtworld info, or brokerage info and have a couple of pages after these for notes I make going through the boats. Pics if necessary, but the listings should have plenty with them.
Later, it's very easy to compare them side by side, by removing the pages.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Hi David,

Boat US has a basic checklist that you can download as a PDF you could start with this form and add any criteria you want Boat Buyer's Guide - Boat Evaluation Checklist - BoatUS

Then transfer it to an excel spreadsheet if you want

Pictures to document and remember what you've seen...

One of my main search criteria was always draft...which tended to somewhat limit the number of vessels that would make the list. Mast Height was another. Certainly budget. I find that if you outline the specific criteria that one is not willing to or can't compromise on..the number of vessels you're inspecting gets smaller. Your friend may have already done this, if so I apologize for stating the obvious.

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
If you are just asking how to organize the pictures, here is what I do.

1. Take first picture with the boat name and close up shoot of YW listing
2. Take all the outside pictures first
3. Go below deck and start from front to aft.
4. Always take a wider shot and then move in for the tighter shoots (macro)
5. Take the last pic with the boat name.

If you want to get fancy, you can import the images into LightRoom but it is overkill.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lots of good ideas, thank you all.

How about videos. I don't find them useful.
Anyone able to find a good use for video.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,016 Posts
I am not one to rush into a purchase. I tend to look at five or six different cars before I buy one. Looked at 20-30 houses (easily) before we bought. And I looked at a good 15-20 boats before we bought our first one, and another 10 or so before we bought this one. I take LOTS of pictures. I agree with you video is generally useless. The only way to REALLY make it work is to go SLOW, and that's just not in most people's mindset when they get aboard. So, pictures it is. The first day I was there, I took a good 30-40 pictures. I try to really catalog the boat. I want to be able to build a 3D image of her, inside and out, from the pictures. And then I take detail pictures of things that I really need/want to remember, like the kinds of electronics, the location of thru-hulls, etc. I also kept a notebook. But inevitably, even with a checklist/standard questions, I still forgot some detail. So, I've learned that pictures really work best, at least for me.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
When I was buying my last boat, I knew it would be my last boat, so I wanted to make sure I had the right one. I put together a file folder for every boat we looked at that we seriously considered, with pictures, broker advertisements, notes about what we liked and didn't like, and the pros and cons for what what we wanted to do with it.

It made it pretty easy to narrow our final selection down to three choices (then it got hard :) ).

Reactions: davidpm
1 - 10 of 10 Posts