SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
This, of course, depends upon YOUR talents. Some folks have special skills that are marketable regardless of where they reside. I know dozens of cruisers that can fix any engine ever made, and do it quickly, while others can do some incredible canvas and sail work, have their own heavy-duty sewing machine and an assortment of hardware. Some are freelance writers that have managed to eek out a living with the few print media sailing and boating publications still in print. Me, I'm a musician/singer/entertainer, and for decades I've been in high demand for private parties, senior events, nite clubs, tiki bars, and marina restaurants. I can usually find work everywhere I cruise, unless is a remote island with no inhabitants, or a place that is frequented by the very young college and high-school crowds. My market is primarily folks from 40 to 80 years of age that love to party.

Good luck,

Gary :cool:

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
I would suggest that you consider breaking your available cash into two segments; the boat ready to sail, and an annuity. The annuity will give you a fixed income for the duration of the contract, or your life, which is nice.
You will not be allowed to work in a foreign country unless you have a trade that the locals don't and I seriously doubt you are going to be able to finance your sailing with charters.
Some people I know run online stores, but this requires good internet where ever you go. Being a published writer is also a good source of sailing income. Just ask J K Rowling.

·
3,505 Posts
10,000 work permits were issued in Phuket, Thailand this year to foreigners...

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
In addition to marketable skills/ talents, I suppose it depends on how much support you need? Probably need to start with a budget..what are your fixed expenses? variable?

And, where you want to cruise to.

There are some threads here that discuss the $500/mo. version and there are a few bloggers that have detailed some realistic expenses. ( like health-care, boat insurance, maintenance etc. )

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Bank jobs
Better to rob grocery stores. The average grocery store robbery nets more than the average bank robbery, and you have the locals chasing you instead of the feds. :D

(And, you can pick up something to eat while you are there).

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
look at you guys! what fools

it used to be buy the biggest boat you can afford

now its you damn fool you bought too much boat and dont have money

answer the questions instead of making the op feel bad

what is it with people not answering questions on here?

to answer the questions and depending where you are cruising it can be sometimes hard to make a little cash

for example can you cook? have you worked in the hopsitality industry?

hotels all over the world are often staffed with many different people from different countries

everything from cooking to scuba instructor, to masseusse

in anchorages and the like a lot of people dont like to dive their own boats so be handy with bottom cleaning equipment and tools and you make some cruising kitty

are you a good electrician, can you weld, are you a good diesel mechanic?

all those things can make you some cash, if youre GOOD

can you sew canvas well, and make awnings, sail covers, can you fix and repair sails well?

another potential $$ maker

are you willing to let you boat sit in some far away anchorage while you crew on other peoples boats or help deliver?

thats another one

are you ineterested in actually staying in places and applying for work permits(thats getting harder every day)

anywhoo

there are ways

the other one is cruise 6 months or the season then go back to home where ever that is and make money at your old working grounds if you will

the restaurant business has always been a standard in that regard

its easy to come back to

anyways

good luck and congrats on the boat
oh if you have some money that you can keep stashed away for a while open a cd in your favourite bank, when you come back it will have gained some...not much but its a good way to NOT touch your money

anyways there are options out there

·
Advanced beginner
640 Posts
I'm no expert here, but I'm always curious how other people manage this, and here are the methods I have seen:

1. Savings and a fixed sabbatical from a professional job (summer off, year off)
2. Savings and an unfixed sabbatical from a career with relatively easy reentry and not great returns to job tenure (restaurants, hospitality, other service industries).
3. Rent on a real estate asset (hopefully one that is paid off, exists in a market with high rents, and a good management company)
4. Pensions

Hope that helps,

E.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Well

He is starting tapped out and most of the cheep places to visit really frown on foreigners taking jobs illegally

So that would seem to leave it down to jobs you can do remotely

Christian all the other people I know up here from el salvador and doing there best to NOT go back :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts