SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the reasons I did not want to go back to a sailboat was the inevitable reasons to go up and or have work done on the mast.

I am just too fat, weak and no longer willing to test myself so the only option is to hire someone.

Lazy jacks would be my first mini project. How do I go about finding someone that's probably third my age and able to do this?

After I get the boat set up for my own use and I start getting around the bay I'll probably be very happy to go to a location where I can meet the rigger at their facility, but until that time...eh! It's not a high priority, but I do like lazy jacks they are indsensible when single-handing.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I've been trying to figure this out for years and unfortunately there's no easy answer. The best I've figured out is to ask around among other sailors at your marina or boatyard to see if someone will go up your stick in exchange for beer or for your help with their project. If you're still in Middle River, Maryland Marina does some rigging work and probably could do lazy jacks for you.

Last time the economy tanked there were a handful of one-man mobile rigging outfits but it seems they all got absorbed back into big rigging shops when the boat market went crazy.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
If you’re looking for modestly skilled labor (drill a hole, rather than properly install shrouds and stays), maybe the dockhands would be willing on a slow day. No doubt the marina would bill you full labor rate. It’s possible their insurance will require two people and you’re not authorized to be one of them.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The place I'm at now is in transition, they have a kid at the dock I don't think he knows how to do anything but I'll gently explore the possibility of getting somebody in the marina, there just aren't a whole lot of people around because of the heat, and I guess the transition to New Management.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Mast steps, even if you don’t use them they make it a whole lot easier for other to go up.

Both our boats have steps. One if the very first things I did after buying the big boat was to have someone install steps. I am still doing my own aloft work at 70.

Sitting at a yard in Grenada there was a fellow who needed some small aloft task done. He could not go up because of his weight and lack of steps. So he sat in the yard for at least 4 days at the mercy of the yard manager to schedule someone for his task. I forget what it was but it was something like a half hour job. Had he steps anyone of us would have done the work for a few beers.

Independence.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have always considered that option of mast steps I think they're ugly as all h*** but cannot argue with the logic! 👍👍👍

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
It is an option. But then you have to install and remove when you go up.

But, if you are getting some young deck ape to do it, he may think it is fun!

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trouble is, I don't think I could even ascend mast steps! Paddle a canoe I could do all day... rock climbing. . no thank you!

·
Master Mariner
9,189 Posts
I'd be uneasy sending some dock boy aloft. Most good riggers are solo workers who bring their own bosun's chairs or harnesses and take themselves aloft. You don't even have to be there.
If you are thinking "inexpensive", then I can't help you, but there are quality riggers in almost every good sized town on the water.
Just search sailboat riggers close to your zip.
As a last resort, tree trimmers have the right gear, if not the "marine" experience.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Denise’s profile says “Bristol,PA”. Thats outside Philadelphia, on the wrong side.

Philly is NOT a sailing town. The West Marine packed it up years ago. The few around are oriented towards small power boat stuff. The closest rigger is going to be Northern Chesapeake Bay area, 1-2 hours drive, maybe 2-3 hours drive to Bristol. The one I used (Walden Rigging, excellent) now takes no new customers, they have enough work with repeats.

Thats why Philly is a good town to be FROM.

Reactions: capta

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are actually thousands of sailboats on the Delaware River!
Delaware River yachtsman's League 29 maybe more clubs,

Corinthian yacht club near the airport very exclusive sailing club,
Riverton has racing fleet of J boats I think, many of the clubs have beer can racing!

Winters sailing center in Riverside New Jersey is on the rancocas & very close to the Delaware River.

there is plenty of sailing in and around Philly, the Gazella is still at the wharf in Philly also has a sail racing club

I don't know what's going on in Philly though .I haven't been there in a while there is a West Marine and Bensalem not too far away from my residential address that I'm almost never at.

The tidal Delaware river has a maintained 50'deep shipping channel from Trenton all the way to Delaware Bay the CD canal

I'm not worried about riggers I know they all think they're poo doesn't stink kind of like an air conditioning refrigeration contractor in the height of their season 😇

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Yes but……go down to Penns Landing and look to see how many sail boats are out on any given day. What few boats there are are mostly small. How many water front accessible restaurants? Marinas with pump out?

And those facilities are spread over how many miles of river?

Not that you are wrong, it is just the DENSITY of sailboats, especially larger boats, is very low compared to the Chesapeake area. There is no real sailing oriented economy up this way.

This is not like Baltimore, for example, where you have multiple sizable marinas within an hours drive.

That makes it hard to find good service around here.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yes but……go down to Penns Landing and look to see how many sail boats are out on any given day. What few boats there are are mostly small. How many water front accessible restaurants? Marinas with pump out?

And those facilities are spread over how many miles of river?

Not that you are wrong, it is just the DENSITY of sailboats, especially larger boats, is very low compared to the Chesapeake area. There is no real sailing oriented economy up this way.

This is not like Baltimore, for example, where you have multiple sizable marinas within an hours drive.

That makes it hard to find good service around here.
I think Philadelphia's latest waterfront redevelopment project has completely eliminated boating almost completely, I really don't know I haven't been in the city for easily over a year maybe longer, but Riverton is just across the river in a little bit north! And down at essington is really nice couple marinas and East end yacht club quite a few sailboats there but Philly water front sucks, everything about it sucks.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
ONE good thing. Makes almost anyplace else look good! LOL

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Over 20 years ago I volunteered at the independency Port museum boat shop on a canoe project and some other things I couldn't even get free parking LOL Philly has always thought they could be the other inner harbor but just impossible was the corrupt politicians and the failed plans over the years just about to be planned they have it is another failure. Even the SS United States is still rusting in peace I understand the marina at Camden is quite nice I've never been there although you have to go through the hood to get there. But I would encourage you to investigate joining the DRYL.ORG. anchor yacht club where I used to be in Bristol is very sailboat oriented even though they have quite a few power boats.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
We spent several years at Delaware City Marine.

If not for Covid we would still be in the Caribbean, and am STRONGLY hoping to return this fall.

Right now renovating a rental property in Center City.

I am jaded having experienced the Carib and Newfoundland.

Even my Wife, a dedicated city dweller, has had enough.

But enough bashing Philly. I merely wanted to explain to other posters why finding a rigger is not so easy in this area.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
If not for Covid we would still be in the Caribbean, and am STRONGLY hoping to return this fall.
The EU is now considering closing it's borders to US travel, due to crazy Delta infection rates. I have to think the Caribbean will be right behind them. This sucks.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Minn,

Sucks big time. Martinique told visitors to leave a couple of weeks ago.

I just hope it calms by November.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts