SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've got a 3 cylinder Vetus diesel engine, and I would like to calculate the electrical load (amps) needed of the starting circuit to determine wire gauge needed. The engine is 979cc or roughly 60 cubic inches.

I've read somewhere that a basic formula is 1amp per cubic inch. Anyone have anything more accurate than that?

Based on my formula, I'm looking at 60 amps?

Preserved.

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Maine Sail.

One more question related to this. I'm replacing one section of my starting circuit wiring. I've got a wire running from the battery (20 inches) that goes to a Blue Sea switch, then to the starter motor (~5 feet). I'm replacing the short 20 inch wire. Can I get by with less since that section is so short? I've got some bends to accommodate and a smaller wire size would be easier to install. I was thinking 2awg would be plenty for this. No?

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why skimp? same size wire and all the terminals are the same .
The 2awg is a little thinner & more flexible. With the way by panel & switch is setup, the thinner wire will be much easier to install, in this case. That is..if the wire size is adequate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.